Chapter 47: Veronica

I jumped when cold water was dunked over my head. With the movements of my hands still restricted because of the straitjacket, I could do nothing as my damp hair stuck to my face. The coldness of the liquid gave me goosebumps on the back of my neck as I struggled to stay awake. I winced as rough hands grabbed my chin, forcing me to look up into eyes full of hatred.

"You need to stay awake, you—"

I disconnected from reality as I wondered if what I did to Flash was really worth all this much. This guy was ready to kill another person for something as ordinary as getting fired. With a bomb? Was he really okay acting like a terrorist just because he hated me so much? Sure, maybe his reputation had taken a hit, but a person can always change. Maybe if he would have come back that day and apologized for his behavior, we wouldn't have been in this situation now.

When he pulled at my chin again before grinning like a maniac. "What did you do that day?" He mused as he rubbed his cheek in thought. Bringing the chair closer to me, he sat on it, his legs spread apart. "Oh, you pushed them off your desk, right?" He laughed, clearly enjoying the power he held.

"Guess what?" He licked his lips as he raised one of his legs and kept them in my lap. I watched in shock as he took his second foot and made a cross at his ankles, both his feet on me, in his own way of retaliation of what I did to him. I pushed his feet of my desk, so now he was trying to break my pride by keeping his feet on me. Tears burned at the back of my eyes as humiliation seared into me like a hot iron.

I regretted everything in that moment, including my existence. I wanted to laugh at myself. I wanted to cry. This was the endgame which the universe planned for me? Did I go through all that suffering; of losing my parents and my lungs just to die here this way? Were all those small moments I considered beautiful just a joke? Or no, were they a punishing teaser as to what my life can be?

This was beyond cruel. This was just sadistic.

I looked down at the bomb as with a click, the timer started again. I felt nothing. There was nothing left in me. My pride, self of being was all stripped away in the span of one day. Flash had played this game of cat and mouse the entire afternoon where he started the timer and he 'forgets' to reset it, until the time remaining is only a minute left.

I had cried, sobbed, begged, pleaded with him but it all went in vain. I tried and negotiate with him in case by any chance he lets me go. But I think he was just too far gone for that. There was no humanity in him. In my eyes, he was the devil sent to punish me.

I watched as the timer counted down.

6:50...

6:49...

"This is not as fun anymore." Flash announced as he kept the remote on the table and moved his feet off me, instead of choosing to crouch down in front of me, keeping his filthy hand on my shoulder. I wanted to move so badly, but in all my struggle against the jacket, I was sure I had pulled a nerve somewhere in my shoulder. It hurt even just to breathe.

I met his stare dead on with lifeless eyes. This was the first time he made sense, though. This wasn't as fun to him unless I was crying or screaming. But I was so tired and had given up on everything already. In fact, I wanted him to continue until the bomb exploded. And it will be especially perfect if I could be near him to cause some damage to him as well. Then I would at least go in peace. My death will not be for naught.

"Oh," he exclaimed, as he stood up, rocking back and forth on his heels. "It's rather chilly down in this spot. Do you want to come sit in the chair?" He pointed to the lone chair in the room. I didn't dare look at it. Flash was psychotic, despite the look of fake innocence clearly painted on his face.