Chapter 27: Veronica

Be careful, stay focused.

I told myself multiple times as I looked upon that bicep flex. Dean was like the perfect male specimen. It would be so easy to like him. To want to date him. I could very well even fall for him if I am not careful. And for my career's sake, I needed to be careful.

"What is the best gift you have ever been given?" Dean asked as he shifted slightly in his seat, almost stifling a yawn. I gave him a small smile, guilt flooding me. I knew he was tired, even I was, but I was just afraid of that same nightmare haunting me. Despite the fact that it has been years since my accident happened, I was still traumatized.

I decided I will just play this silly game for another five minutes and then I will let my showstopper sleep. If required, I will play 'Candy Crush' on my phone to pass the time. Minnie had gotten me hooked to the game. I was on level 576.

"Well, my lungs." I watched as Dean frowned, his nose scrunching. I didn't even have to think about the answer to the question he had asked me. It just burst out of me.

"What?"

I cleared my throat. I guess he didn't know. I didn't want to go into details, due to obvious reasons, but I can at least tell him briefly. I considered him my friend.

"The building where I lived caught fire a few years back." I murmured. "I wasn't harmed by the fire so much as I was, by the smoke. I could not get out in time and my lungs took the brunt. They were severely damaged. Doctors had to do a transplant." I traced on the hoodie right where my scar was. "The donor was a seventeen-year-old who died in a car accident. She gifted me her lungs." I stopped as tears stung my eyes.

Don't cry. Don't cry.

Despite A lone tear escaped. Dean gathered me in his arms just as I broke apart.

Stop crying. Stop crying.

But I could not. The dam burst and I was full on crying. There were not a lot of people I have talked to about this. Zoey, Alex and I guess the physical therapist which was assigned to me in my initial days after the transplant. The entire world knew about the accident, but apart from a selective couple of people, no one knew how much I hurt. And nobody knew how much I still hurt. It was my secret, it was my pain to bear.

The long scar just below my chest, which ran horizontally from one side of my body to another, was a horrific reminder to me everyday what I went through. It was so hard to fake a smile sometimes. I was so tired.

It took a couple of minutes before my bawling turned into small sobs. I grimaced as I wiped my tears awkwardly by the sleeve of my large hoodie. Dean was still holding me close, whispering words of comfort.

I was so embarrassed as all of this was happening in front of Dean. The tears, the snot, the hiccups, all of it. I am a pretty ugly crier. I knew I had to move away from him, give both of us some space, but I didn't move. I didn't want to.

It felt so nice just being hugged. It felt so amazing to just be free of it. I felt light, the secret was weighing heavily on me. I needed to let it out and I was glad it was Dean. There are not a lot of people I trust with my private thoughts.

"Better?" he questioned, as he leaned back a bit while still holding my face, wiping the tear tracks on my cheek with his thumbs. It amazed me how gently he held me. Never had I ever been held like I was a delicate flower. His warm hands on either side of my face made goosebumps rise on my body.

I shuddered and let out a breath, trying to compose myself. Blinking multiple times, I looked into his black eyes which were trained on me before throwing common sense out of the window.

I leaned closer just as he did, and our lips connected.

My eyes closed on their own accord as our lips moved in perfect synchronization. I frowned as I tasted my own tears. Before I could move back, Dean palmed the back of my head to bring me closer.

Well I guess he didn't mind.

Our kiss remained sweet as it was more for comfort than passion. But still, when we broke away, we were both panting. Looking into his eyes was a sort of a drug to me now. I loved the feeling I get when I see him just focusing on me.

"Thank you." I whispered as he pushed back my hair and tucked them behind my ears, kissing my forehead. He nodded and then turned his back to me as he grabbed a small water bottle from his armrest for me, wordlessly.

Giving him a small smile, I felt loads better when the water went down, stabilizing my body and my mood. I opened my mouth to thank him again but was pleasantly surprised when a yawn came out instead.

Dean chuckled at my startled expression before getting up from his seat. As our limbs were almost tangled in one another, it took a while before he stood up. I briefly wondered what he was doing when he went to the back of the plane.

He came back a moment later with a thick blanket and two pillows. Using the lever on the side which turned the seat into a small bed, he made me lay down, head on one of the pillows and covered me up, making sure to tuck me, before he settled himself beside me, still sitting on the upright seat.

"What about you?" I asked as he tried to position the other pillow between the corner of the seat and the window.

"There was only one blanket. But it doesn't matter. I can sleep anywhere." He grinned, while I just widened my eyes in disbelief. Reaching over him, I grabbed the lever of his seat, making him woosh down at the same level as my seat-bed.

I pulled half of the blanket over him and settled back down. I watched him fight the smile off his face when he looked at me. I grunted in response.

"I am not a sharer, okay? Especially of cozy blankets like these. This is a big deal." I informed him as I turned towards my side, loving the way a peal of laughter left him.

I closed my eyes and had a dreamless sleep, first in many months.

But when my eyes opened suddenly a couple of hours later, my body went cold, guilt running through my veins.

My God, what have I done?