Chapter 49: Veronica

-second last chapter-

Chapter 49: Veronica

He was here. He was here. He was here.

Like a mantra, the same sentence kept repeating in my head.

No, this has to be a dream, right?

The touch of his forehead against mine felt real and that was more than enough, even if I was just hallucinating. I didn't know how he found me, or if all of this was just a dream, but...he was with me.

With that thought came another realization, that I had given up on him. I had given up on him finding me and coming to me. I had given up on him saving me. I had given up. Emotions crashed into me like a tsunami, making hot tears burn behind my eyes. I didn't know why I was crying. Maybe because of guilt? Maybe relief?

Dean did his best to wipe them all, but to no avail. We were both silent as we just took a second to confirm that the other was still there, and that we were finally together. I could get through anything as long as I was with him. My aching body protested every minuscule moment, but energy surged in me. Let's get out of here.

I wanted to get this jacket off and embrace him. I wanted to touch him, I wanted to kiss him. In a short while he had become the center of my world and every day, I wanted to prove that to him. He was my hero, my savior and one day I wanted to return all the favors he has done.

It was almost ironic that in our state of distraction, we didn't notice Flash sneak up behind Dean.

I cried out as I saw Flash grab the back of his head and smash it against the wall I was leaning against. My shoulder cried out as I tried to wriggle to where Dean had slumped over, dirty matted hair falling into my eyes.

"The place is crawling with police!" Flash snarled softly as he painfully kicked me back to my original place in the corner. I wheezed a bit, trying to subdue the pain as my concern for Dean grew. My eyes didn't leave his body as I tried to figure out if he was okay. He wasn't moving at all.

I didn't give up though. Not this time. We were so close to escaping from here. Again, I tried to slither like a snake closer to Dean's form. Fresh tears streamed like a waterfall when I saw a lot of blood dripping down on the grimy floor from his head.

"Stop and stay silent or I will trigger it!" Flash screamed, as he grabbed a fistful of my hair and dragged me farther away from Dean to the middle of the room. The scream of pain got stuck in my throat as my body couldn't comprehend the pain limit on my scalp. It hurt so much.

I hated this, I hated this. I sobbed, bowing my head down as I stared at Dean. What if he was seriously injured? Why isn't he moving? Dean, get up!

I wanted to shout, I wanted to scream for help. Flash already announced that the place was full of policemen I am sure if I scream loud enough, maybe one of them might hear.

But. The analytical part of my brain whispered. That will be a huge risk.

That was true. If I do anything to anger Flash, he might trigger the bomb and escape. I was still inside the straitjacket, so it was impossible for me to do anything to stop him. I might be able to run outside and away from Dean to save him, but what if Flash jams the door? I will be trapped in here with Dean. I had already accepted the event of my death but I sure as hell will not be the reason he dies as well.

My only way out was if somehow Dean wakes up.

Dean, please!

I begged and prayed in my mind desperately, hoping that something will work, before grunting as my hipbone collided with the seat of the chair as Flash dropped me like a sack of potatoes.

"Shut up!" He screamed, his spit flying all over my face as he pointed a gun at me. I reflexively leaned back, trying to get away. Where did he get a gun? For gods' sake, he is insane!

Flash and I both turned our heads towards the door as it busted open, almost flying off the hinges. I didn't know what to expect due to the suddenness, but when I saw the police uniform, I relaxed.

Thank God!

My breath of relief got stuck in my throat as I was roughly pulled up by my belt and was made to act as a human shield for Flash. He had gripped my bad shoulder, immobilizing my upper body due to the pain and had planted the barrel of the gun just beside my head.

I wish I could have thought of some badass move and had given a chance for the officer holding a gun to Flash to shoot. But all I felt was numb. It was like I was watching a never-ending movie and now, I just wanted it to end, be it a happy or sad ending.

"Drop the gun!" The officer shouted as he was joined by another one of the police officers. Both of them tried to enter the small room slowly, and I winced as Flashed pushed the gun a bit harder to my head.

"Do you not see this!? Drop your guns or I will shoot her!" Flash shouted, almost bursting my ear drums. I stared straight ahead, begging with my eyes for the two good men to leave. Even if they hand over their guns, the threat of the bomb attached to me will still hang over their heads.

I saw them look at each other before bending down, their grips on the gun relaxed.

No. No. No! Shoot him! I wanted to scream. Even if I get hurt in the process, Flash needs to be captured!

Only a sob escaped instead, as I closed my eyes shut, so that my eyesight wouldn't be as blurry anymore due to the tears.

However, the next few incidents happened in a rapid succession.

Unbeknownst to both Flash and I, Dean had regained consciousness and was communicating with the officers in their code language. As soon as the officers had bent down to keep their gun on the floor, Dean had swiftly kicked the back of Flash's legs to disorient him.

It worked, as I felt Flash stumble behind me, his considerably heavy body almost dragging me with him to the floor. There wasn't enough time for me to turn and see what had happened before a shot rang out, echoing through the walls.

It was all silent for a minute.

Nobody even dared to breathe.

The fire crackled.

And then I exhaled.

I looked down.

I saw the blood first.

I gulped.

And then the pain hit me. 

---

You guys saw the top most message, right?
Comment your thoughts!

-A