Chapter 19: Veronica

I was a fashion designer for Gods' sake. I am the one people come to for their fashion needs. I am supposed to have clothes for all types of things. So how come at 6.15 in the morning I am sitting on my bed with nothing to wear!? This is absolutely ridiculous.

My eyes raked over everything I had in my cupboard.

I had various gowns, dresses, tops, suits but somehow, nothing was feeling adequate for my morning breakfast with Dean. God even the name of that man was sending butterflies in my stomach.

I shook my head once and focused on the problem at hand. I looked at my planner on my phone, for the day and saw I had four meetings with different designers and a couple of models will be coming by to get measured again.

I sighed. If I can't dress for the breakfast, I can at least dress for the day. I got up from my bed and took out a warm suit. Hurriedly putting on some light makeup to hide the dark circles and that stress pimple on my cheek, I was out of my door at 6.50 am.

It was a 15-minute drive to 'Pita Pan', a diner close by and I reached before Dean had. I smiled at the hostess of the semi-filled diner as I entered and took a seat next to the ceiling to floor glass window of the small café. I smiled at the hostess again as she came over to hand me a menu and fill my cup with coffee.

I took a sip just as she left and almost sighed in bliss. My eyes closed on their own as my taste buds relished in the taste and my body hummed as it got something hot to drink. New York winters can really be harsh.

"If you want to have your way with that coffee in private, I can leave." A voice said in front of me and I forced my eyes to open. Dean stood in front of me, a slight smirk on his face. He was wearing a black coat which was open towards the front and a scarf on his neck. Looking at it, I let out a giggle.

"Something wrong with my outfit?" He said as he sat down in front of me, his hand going to his hair to shake some droplets off. It was a hypnotic move. It was quite hard to pull my gaze away from that motion. With his hair all shaken, he looked impossibly sexy.

"No, its just that whenever I see you, you have that scarf with you. It is kind of what I symbolize you with, now." I explained, just as the same hostess came and poured Dean a drink of his own.

His eyes lit up with mischief. "Oh, I actually don't need it much. It is only for pretty ladies who may get cold after stepping out of clubs." He winked referring to a couple of days ago, as my face split into a grin.

He picked up his mug and I watched in anticipation for his reaction. Like I was looking forward to, as soon as he took a sip, his body relaxed, and he closed in eyes in enjoyment.

"If you want to have your way with that coffee in private, I can leave." I repeated his words back to him, making him open his eyes and laugh. It was such a pure sound. He laughed without withholding anything. The models I meet on a daily basis laughed rarely as they are afraid, they might get wrinkles. Such a stupid notion.

We talked about everything and anything. I thanked him for dousing the fire in my store and saving me from cracking my head open the previous day and he asked me how I was doing after that as well as reminded me to keep drinking water as a part of why I fainted yesterday was a lack of hydration. I assured him I will, and we moved on to other topics as our food came. Bacon and eggs for him, Chocolate pancakes for me.

We had been here talking for an hour before a small silence came between us. I looked at Dean again, focusing on his face. His eyes looked tired, but they were still locked on me, fully giving me his attention. His lips held a small smile as he looked at me and his stubble was giving him an extra sexier look. I smiled. He was a beautiful man.

This was it, I had to ask him.

"Be my showstopper." I blurted out. A dark eyebrow rose.

"Showstopper?"

"Yeah, like a showstopper model for my show in Dubai. I haven't found anyone yet to fill that role, but I think you would go—"

"Me? Dubai? No Veronica, you must surely be joking." He looked down at his empty cup and raised a hand for the hostess for a refill.

"I am not. You are perfect for the role. And its nothing, really. You just need to walk in a straight line with a smile and stop at the end for a couple of seconds for the cameras to flash and then return back. There is nothing to it."

Dean was still looking at me incredulously, drinking his newly refilled coffee.

"I am not at all model material, Veronica." As if to prove it, he slouched further in his seat and pushed his waist from both sides together to get the illusion of a fat stomach. "I have a belly." He said in a child-like voice so seriously it made me laugh.

"Dean, you don't. Stop trying to fool me. Please, at least reconsider. Everything is paid for. The travel, the hotel. You will know what clothes to wear on the day and they will look good. You are a hot dude. We both know that. You will kill it on there." I said with certainty. I was 100% sure of both my collection and him, I just wanted him to say yes.

He looked down at his hands on the table and I cupped them with mine, trying to make him understand. He looked at the entwined hands for a long time before he looked at me.

"If I do this, will I get to be around you?"

I blushed. There was no other way I could have reacted to that sentence apart from that. "Yes."

"Okay." He nodded and I gave a breath of relief. Finally, I found my showstopper! "But." My guard was instantly up. That 'but' was unexpected.

"First, from the way you spoke, I inferred you want me as your model because you have found no one else. Once you do, just replace me, as I am a firefighter foremost. My duties lie here." I frowned but nodded. I understood what he was saying, and I respected him a bit more for that.

"What is the second?"

"Second is, if I am doing this for you, you have to do something for me."

Anxiety kicked in.

"And what that may be?"

"Be my plus one to a party this weekend."

--------

Oooh. Any guesses what is going to happen next? :D 

Next chapter is written already, I am just tweaking it here and there. 

I will post it soon!

Keep Smiling!

-A