Chapter 18: Dean

Chapter 18: Dean

"I am sorry Veronica, but there is absolutely no way I believe that I actually know a famous person." I slightly pushed my shoulder with hers, making her smile.

I was sitting beside her on the hospital bed, watching her put her shoes on as she was about to be discharged. Zoey and Alex were talking to a doctor about Veronica, like two very concerned parents, just outside the door and Natalie was playing a game on Alex's phone on the chair in front of us. A nurse entered, carrying all the documents she had to sign to be let go from the hospital.

I noticed how scribbly her signature was. But isn't there a saying that the people with the messiest writing are the fastest thinkers? After she was done, she stood up and stretched.

I maybe was watching her creepily but there was something about her which was very attractive to me. I couldn't take my eyes off her.

"If I am a famous person, I wonder what you will say about Alex." She giggled, bending down to Natalie and giving her a quick kiss on her head. The little girl was still playing a game, but she smiled in response.

"Alex, your brother?"

"Yep. He is my brother-in-law, actually." She went inside the attached bathroom, but the door was open so I could see her tying her hair in the mirror there.

I frowned. "You and Zoey are sisters?"

"Nuh—" She tried to speak while having a hairband in her mouth so that she could use both of her hands to tie her hair up. I idly wondered why she just didn't keep the band on the counter and then picked it up. Women.

"She is my best friend. I have known her for years. She is my family. Alex became my family when he married her." She smiled, coming back to the room and glancing at the couple outside the door.

She turned towards me and I was blown away with how she looked with her hair in a messy bun. Ethereal. Small tendrils of her hair framed her face perfectly. I was in awe.

I snapped out of my thoughts when she spoke, handing me a space-grey iPhone. "Give me your number, Dean." I took it from her, seeing a cute picture of her and Natalie holding up peace signs with their tongues out as her wallpaper. I smiled softly.

"Yeah sure." I gave a missed call to my number with her phone. "But you have to promise me something, Veronica."

Amused, she looked over to me from searching for something in her bag. "Promise you what?"

"That you are not going to stalk me."

Her tinkling laugh made my heartbeat faster.

A few hours later, I was back at the fire-station for my shift and Kellan was giving me a I-don't-believe-it look. His eyebrows were so high, they were hidden behind his hair.

"No. It can't be."

"I am telling you! She is the same girl."

Kellan frowned in thought. He absent-mindedly played with a pen on my desk. "What are the chances of that happening though? You saved a girl from a fire, years back and she is now a top businesswoman? That is literally the start of some cheesy romance novel which mom reads."

I looked at him in amusement, looking up from my microwave warmed up dinner. "And how would you know what kind of books mom reads?" Kellan's ears turned pink.

"Shut up okay." He said, leaning back on the chair and folding his arms. He looked like a cute baby, with the pouting face and all. He turned back to me when a thought hit him. "Don't tell mom you know the owner of Pandemonium stores. She will make you marry her on the spot."

We laughed at that. My mother's obsession with that store was borderline crazy. Whatever Kellan said was not at all farfetched.

"So are you going to ask her out?" Kellan asked, as he checked his phone when it beeped with a notification.

"I don't know. But I like her and really wants to see where this leads. Should I call her up? What do you think?"

Kellan looked up. "Dude, no! You should wait for a couple of days before calling. The entire Bro-Code is based on that."

"Yeah, I should but..." But I want to see her. Now that I remembered that she was the one I had saved from the fire all those years ago, I wanted to know more about her. Till now, she had said nothing about the night, and I feel that she had forgotten it about it altogether. Not the night at least, just me. And that's okay. But I still can be her friend, right?

As I thought more about it, I realized I was becoming more and more ecstatic. It was a different feeling altogether. A person I had saved had gone and done something so amazing in the world. Hers was a success story. And I am damn proud of her. So what was I waiting for?

I pulled out my phone and searched my contacts.

I clicked on the message button below her name and typed in a quick text, not expecting an immediate reply. It was almost 9 at night, she must be going off to sleep. She surely needed the rest.

Dean: Hi! Dean McCall here. I was with you in the hospital today.

Not even 30 seconds later my phone beeped.

Veronica: Thank you for subscribing to Hot Males In Your Area. You will get alerts every time we have a match for you.

Wait, what the hell? This was Veronica's number! What is this—I was just about to panic super hard when another message came.

Veronica: Oh my God, I am so sorry. I was just kidding.

With that winky face emoji I let out a laugh myself. I had been successfully pranked. Kellan briefly looked up before going back and scrolling through his Instagram, bored. I had two choices now. Play on or end it here. I chose the former.

Dean: Wait, what? No! Come on, I really wanted to know about the hot males in my area. Remember, I like 'em grizzly.

Veronica: OH MY GOD.

I laughed harder at the number of smiley faces she sent.

Veronica: You win. (folded hands emoji)

Dean: (smiley face) I hope I didn't disturb you?

Veronica: (smiley face) no not at all. I was awake and going through some designs. What's happening?

Dean: Just here at the station for my shift. I wanted to ask if you might be interested in having breakfast with me tomorrow?

Veronica: Sure! What time?

Dean: I get off at 7. How about then?

Veronica: Yeah, that works. How about we meet in front of Pita Pan at 7.15?

Dean: See you there.

Suddenly, I couldn't wait to get off work. 

--------

So? SO? SOO! 

How was this chapter?

My favorite ice cream is butterscotch. What's yours?

-A