Chapter 40- POV Third Person: Happily

"Hey, Cherry, we gotta go." The larger boy shakes Louis gently, grinning when his boyfriend groans softly and turns onto his stomach, arms tucked gingerly beneath him into the couch cushions. 

Harry slides his arms underneath him and folds the boy into his arms, planting a soft kiss onto his pale paper-like forehead, spotted here and there with a freckle, cheeks painted the blush pink they always are. He sweeps the boy's bangs to the side, admiring the perfectly proportioned face he reveals with a bright spark in his eye that Louis always calls his "fond" look.

"You're fonding again." He would say, crinkling his eyes at the corners and pulling the very edges of his lips upward into the gleaming stare he fostered much too often to tease Harry about it. Nonetheless, however much Harry protested Louis's teasing, it warmed something in his heart he would never, ever want to surrender.

He walks with the boy through the door, and across the ever-growing viridescent lawn, depositing Louis into the passenger seat of the smaller boy's truck, placing a thin red blanket over him. He sits there for a minute, soaking in the night.

The morning sky has turned to molten brass, and a fringe of the sun peeks out gently over the horizon, asking the world's permission to precede. Crisp air curls itself around his shape, blowing his hair across his green eyes. A bird soars overhead, singing in greeting. He shakes his head side to side to reposition his hair into the perfect messy-on-purpose quiff he wears every day. A light flickers on the neighbor's house, and a car sputters to life down the road. He leans his head back onto the worn down headrest, breathing in the fresh morning air, watching as the world comes to life in front of him. 

He doesn't feel so alone just then, because the world is on his side.

Louis shifts in the seat beside him, groaning in the morning-voice Harry loves so much. Once in a while, he'd even call Louis when he knew he wasn't awake, merely so the ringing of his phone would wake him up and he would get to hear the deep, raspy trill of his lover's soul. He'd never tell Louis that, though.

Harry places a hand on Louis's back, rubbing gently, and whispering sweet nothings into the smaller boy's ear until he drifts off again. He starts the truck, seat shifting under him as the vehicle comes to life, and navigates it out of Louis's driveway, turning left, speeding down the street with the window all the way down, wind pulsing through his ears, transmitting the freedom of the draft through him.

Harry switches on the radio, and heartfelt words blast through the car. He laughs- that laugh kids do when they find something hilarious, belly jiggling carelessly, creases of his faces folded into itself, eyes merely slivers in his wondrous ecstasy.

I don't care what people say when we're together

You know I wanna be the one to hold you when you sleep

I just want it to be you and I forever

I know you wanna leave

So c'mon baby be with me

So happily

He sings along, bound by his familiarity with the words, encapsulated in his and Louis's own little bubble of bliss. The world as he knows it sparkles around him, as the bustle of dog-walkers and morning-runners awake- as the sky changes hue until the sun has fully risen over the lush horizon.

Harry, purified by the rushing wind, finds himself madly in love with the world- in love with life, and all it has to offer- including the most captivating of moments and the most awful ones- the ones he had tried so hard to forget.