2 | Van Gogh

─── • ───

─── • ───

THERE WERE SIX of them.

I recognized three from the parking lot, two were new, then there was Elijah. He rested against the large beach boulders with his arm around a girl. A smug smile tugged the corner of his mouth as rubbed the back of his head, pulling her closer. He wore a blue Trumbullen baseball shirt and grey drawstring shorts, the same thing he left the stadium in. 

The girl whispered something in his ear, causing him to look at her. He grinned deviously.

"Since when did they come to these parties?" I asked Reva.

"They usually don't," she said. "Maybe they're making a grand appearance after their scrimmage. You know, paying their respects to the loyal fans." She motioned to the crowd of students surrounding them. They were most likely the hard party-goers trying to schmooze their way into a baseball party.

I snorted, taking an unopened beer from her hand.

"Here's your chance to attack, Lucy," I said, but Lucy was already off on the prowl. We spotted her on the other side of the fire pit, batting her eyelashes at a group of guys who gazed at her like she was a fallen angel. I didn't blame them. Lucy was stunning with her short black bob and lofty confidence. She was the wing woman every person needed.

If she wanted a guy wrapped around her finger, all she had to do was look in their direction.

We three took our place beside her, and she introduced us to her new friends.

The guys were cute, but nobody I'd drop to my knees and bow for. They were in a fraternity, which rarely piqued my interest. If they didn't have their greek logo plastered on their shorts, you could tell by the way they carried themselves—with raised chins and buff chests, ready to woo chicks left and right. I've had my fair share of them and didn't bother treading in their territory unless I wanted a quick one-night stand or attention.

"Do you think they have a sister my age? Or a female friend?" Reva whispered, causing me to almost choke on the foam of my beer.

"Are you not vibing with any of them?" I asked.

She shrugged. "None look my type. I'm going to find someone else to talk to," she said and disappeared with Iya.

I didn't blame Reva.

But if I had to choose any of them, only one caught my attention. His name was Dustin. He had shaggy blond hair, and his smile was rather welcoming. I'd never met or seen him around campus, and if I had to guess, he was probably a business major. So we wouldn't share classes.

Throughout our conversation, he kept glancing in my direction as Lucy spoke. When I would catch him staring, I averted my eyes like I didn't care or wasn't interested. Although, it made my stomach flutter; I didn't let my emotions show on my face.