23 | Getting Off

I HAD A DEEP suspicion Jayce knew Elijah and I had been sneaking around

I HAD A DEEP suspicion Jayce knew Elijah and I had been sneaking around. I asked him for Elijah's number not too long ago, and he had seen us together many times. If he couldn't put the pieces together, I would be worried about his guessing skills.

However, the way Lucy glanced at me on Sunday told me she knew something as well.

"You're wearing Jayce's jersey." I pointed out as she ran her hands over the blue fabric.

"Just his number," she said. "Figured I'd get into the school spirit."

I looked down at my plain Trembullen crew neck and skinny jeans. Iya, Reva, and Penelope dressed in regular school apparel, making me feel less alone. Elijah's sweatshirt—which I could have worn—hung in my closet because I could not have the number twenty-one on my body without raising questions.

"It's going to be packed," Iya said, pulling into the bustling parking lot.

Students filtered into the stadium, and the cheering vibrated through the pavement as we left the car. I had not been to a university function in a long while, and I wasn't an enormous sports fan. I didn't mind the view from the studio window, but sitting in the stands would be a very different experience.

Iya and I found our seats while the other girls went to ransack the food vendors. I checked my phone to see if Elijah had replied to my good luck message, yet he left it unread.

The seats were almost filled, but the field was barren. I noticed the players moving inside the dugout, though it was too far for me to spot Elijah or his friends. My stomach tightened at the thought of seeing him play.

Why the hell was I nervous? All I had to do was watch.

"You excited about the bonfire tonight?" Iya asked.

"Yeah, it will be fun." Fun as in avoiding being around Elijah in front of everyone. "What's up with Jayce and Lucy?"

"I couldn't tell you. Lucy has been pretty hush-hush about Jayce, which is out of character. But every time she leaves the chapter house, I know she's going to his place."

Now I might run into Lucy at Elijah's house? Hell. That was not comforting to hear.

"Wieners for everyone!" Reva shouted. "Except for Penelope and me."

My stomach hurt from laughing as Reva handed me a hotdog and beer—the perfect game day food. All five of us sat in a row, eating while waiting for the game to start. The moment the team walked on the field, my muscles tensed, and I searched for Elijah.

I spotted him between second and third base decked out in the number twenty-one. I could see his braids peaking from his ball cap as he high-fived Jayce. They were playing against their rivals, and the stadium was packed with fans wearing blue for Trumbullen and orange for Lincoln State.