11 | Just what I wanted

─── • ───

─── • ───

 "ARE YOU SURE you don't want to come out with us?" Reva asked, standing in the kitchen with Lucy, Iya, and Penelope. They all looked gorgeous in their party outfits; short skirts, ripped jeans, and lacy tops. From how ominous the sky looked outside, I didn't think they were dressed for the weather, but they didn't care, so neither did I.

"I'm sure. Have a drink for me though." I smiled.

"You don't have to tell me twice," Lucy said, pouring herself another shot.

Penelope discretely hung onto Reva's arm and I watched their thumbs brush each other's hands. They glanced and smiled. I could tell Penelope wasn't fully comfortable around us yet, but I knew eventually she would open up. We were a rambunctious crowd. I didn't blame her for being reserved. I would be too if I saw Lucy taking body shots off Iya on the counter. 

"If you change your mind at all, please call us," Iya said.

"I will don't worry." 

I asked if everyone was ready to go. When they replied yes and gulped down the last drops of alcohol, we hiked down the apartment building stairs to my car. I tossed my backpack in the trunk, then climbed into the driver's seat.

Other residents meandered in the parking lot in their party outfits—some getting in their cars and some on foot. It was going to be a wild night for them. For me, I planned to go to the studio.

As I reversed from the parking lot, my muscle memory kicked in and I wound the windows down. The fog rolled in thick opaque clouds, kissing the ground. Even though there wasn't any rain, my skin felt moist, the humidity wrapping around me like a blanket.

Lucy—who sat shotgun—plugged her phone in and blared Two Weeks by Grizzly Bear. As usual, the scream-singing ensued as we drove down the Coastal Highway. I rolled up the sleeves to my sweatshirt and sang along.

I noticed my phone glowing in the cup holder and Lucy picked it up before I could tell her not to bother. My eyes flickered from the road to her face, and my heart sped up as she scanned the screen. What was she reading? Did someone text me?

She turned wide-eyed while the girls sang behind us. Instead of speaking, she grinned and faced forward, putting my phone back where it came from.

Shit, I must've gotten a message from one of the guys.

As I pulled into the beach lot, their blazing bonfire flickered above the dunes and students crowded around. I couldn't hear much shouting over the wind, but I could feel the thumping of the music. The party looked larger than the last, big enough police were bound to show up and bust it. 

"Thank you so much for driving us." Reva squeezed my shoulder over the seat. Everyone else thanked me as they climbed out. I told them to call if they needed anything. I watched the four stumbled toward the crowd pumping their arms into the air.