20.1 | Close One

"THE END OF the semester is approaching fast, everyone

"THE END OF the semester is approaching fast, everyone. I'll be discussing final projects in more detail, but I posted the rubric online for you to read over and get a head start on planning. I would've hoped you all began..." My studio professor droned on as I finished cleaning my paintbrushes.

My fingers itched to check my messages, but my hands were covered in paint. Sitting in class today was painful, and it seemed I'd become dramatic and impatient overnight.

I packed my bag and hiked out of the art building toward The Coffee Shack. There weren't any new messages from Elijah, aside from the one he'd sent this morning about thinking of me all night. Little did he know, I fell asleep giddy as though he was my first kiss.

Reclining on the couch with a coffee, I dug my computer from my backpack and worked on random assignments until my friends joined me.

"Penelope is joining us today," Reva said, sitting across from me with Penelope to her right and Iya and Lucy on either side of us.

"Hey, Penelope. It's nice to see you." I smiled. "How was your dinner last night?"

I didn't know whether they were calling it a date, so I settled on dinner. The girls looked at one another and shared a smile that they only understood the meaning of. It made me smile.

Reva got home late, which didn't give us the chance to talk and I was gone for the studio before she was awake, which meant I didn't get to hear about her date and she had no clue Elijah and I kissed in the car.

"You need to come out with us, Penelope!" Iya cheered. "That would be so much fun."

"A girls' night is much needed after that long break away from each other," Lucy added.

"It was a week."

"It was almost nine days, which is nine too long."

We laughed at Lucy's dramatics when suddenly her back straightened and I followed her gaze to where the four guys from dinner last night stood beside our chairs, my stomach dropping as I had gone down the steepest rollercoaster.

My attention focused directly on Elijah.

"Haven't seen you, ladies, in a while," Brant grinned, his eyes honing in on Lucy. The instinctive part in me wanted to tell him she was off-limits, but I would not cock block one of my best friends.

"Could say the same for you," Lucy cooed. "No more party invites."

"We're going through a dry period now," Jayce chimed in.

Lucy conversed as though she had spoken to them hundreds of times. She introduced Reva and Penelope because I was too busy keeping my mouth shut and heart at bay.

"You guys should have come to dinner with Sadie and us last night," Aiden said, and my four friends broke their necks looking at me. I swallowed. Lucy and Iya were smug, Penelope looked lost and Reva's expression was confused beyond belief. I was going to be berated by questions after this.