13 | Spider Web

─── • ───

─── • ───

 MY DOOR MADE a horrid screech, and I turned over in bed to see who caused it. Reva stepped in, closing it behind her. "Morning little-miss-secret-keeper, someone is in the living room waiting for you."

"Huh?" I rubbed my eyes, barely awake, to register what she said.

"Preston. He is in the living room."

I sat up as though someone clamped jumper cables on my feet and cranked the voltage up to one-hundred. The mirror leaning in the corner of my bedroom revealed my current state. My hair was atrocious, my breath reeked, and my nipple poked through my tee-shirt like pyramids.

"What is he doing here?"
"Well, he dropped your car off with Aiden."

I paused. "How?"

"He stopped by this morning, and I gave him your keys."

I glanced at the clock. Ten a.m? Holy shit, I slept in. I jumped out of bed, stumbling while pulling my pajama shorts on. Reva stepped out of the way. Quiet laughter eddied from her as I ran to the bathroom. "You are filling me in after or I'm physically hurting you."

I cackled. "Okay, mom."

After brushing my teeth and the rats-nest on my head, I walked into the living room, fidgeting with the hem of my shirt. Elijah sat on the love seat with a coffee mug in his hand, his finger tapping the ceramic as he looked around. The floor shifted under my weight and our eyes locked.

He stood, tossing my car keys. "Good morning."

I caught them haphazardly. "Morning, thank you for getting my car. You really didn't have to do that."

"It was no problem, the guys were headed to campus, so I joined."

I nodded, not knowing what else to say.

Falling asleep last night was like trying to take an exam. My mind was running at high speed. I closed my eyes, my hand slipped under my sheets as I pictured Elijah looking at my lips and telling me he wanted to kiss me. That was enough thought to boost my ego.

And it surely did last night. But now, standing before him in my pumpkin pajamas despite it being spring was a much different story; one devious look and I'd buckle.

"Well, I have to get to practice." Elijah pointed to the door.

"Right."

"I'll see you around, Van Gogh."

He always said that and always lived up to his promise.

Smiling, I walked him to the door. "Thanks again," I said, as he stepped outside.

Before I closed the door, he stopped it with his foot. "Nice shorts, by the way." He grinned and then hurried down the building stairs without looking back.