26 | Pizza Delivery

STORY ANNOUNCEMENT: So if you didn't notice the changes

    STORY ANNOUNCEMENT: So if you didn't notice the changes... I have decided to separate The Art of Falling from The Falling Universe, it is now The Art of You. This means it will no longer be attached to our beloved Miles Cunningham & Isabella Gallagher, which also means Sierra Gallagher will now be Sadie Lane Garner and her family backstory will be adjusted. I did this for personal reasons, and I hope you understand. Isabella Gallagher is now Leila Garner, Miles Cunningham is now Mason Collins, and Addison & Jasper are now Allison and Jack. I kept the names relatively the same/similar initials to help readers follow along a little better.
─── • ───

I PLANNED TO FINISH my final art project the following Monday. Still, after my morning studio class, I realized I was more behind than I wanted to be. I thanked my lack of focus for the blank spaces on my canvas. But the semester was nearly over, and my motivation was evaporating faster than water on hot pavement. And trying to find enough to get me through this last project was taxing.

"How is your project coming along?" I asked Reva and sipped my iced coffee, sagging in relief as the cool liquid entered my belly. The heat was unbearable today, though the chilly air and smell of coffee from The Coffee Shack were all I needed to get me through the rest of the day.

"I'm almost finished! Then I have to work on the essay for our writing class, and after that, I'm done." She pretended to drop a microphone, and Penelope giggled. "Then it's finally summer."

I relaxed into the cushions. "How is our junior year almost over?"

"I don't know. How is college going so fast? We will be seniors, and that means I have to get a big girl job next year." Lucy groaned. "I don't think getting blacked out on weekends will be on my list anymore."

I chuckled. "No, definitely not. It feels like only yesterday we were dragging you up the dorm stairs in your bumblebee costume."

She covered her face and shook her head. "I don't remember that night, and I'm glad I don't."

We all fell into a fit of laughter and told Penelope the story. She did not seem appalled by our behavior, which is a bonus because she is lovely. And Reva appeared more content than ever, which I couldn't be more thankful for, especially now that Elijah occupies a lot of my time.

After finishing our coffee and confirming our movie plans for tomorrow night, I strolled toward the art building to continue working on my project. The class was letting out when I walked inside the lobby. I came earlier than usual because the boys had practice, and I wanted to watch Elijah from the window.

I plopped onto a stool, wedged my headphones into my ears, and began mixing paint. My studio teacher waved goodbye and cracked the door.

When I was alone, I placed my palette on the table, walked to the window, and scoured the field for Elijah. I spotted him by the dugout, standing beside his coach. The sun was blinding, and I doubted he could see me in the window, but I waved anyway. I could only imagine how sweaty they were from the heat.