16 | Halfway There

I HATED AIRPORTS

I HATED AIRPORTS.

They were loud and chaotic, but the anticipation of leaving was exhilarating.

I stared at my duffle bag, clutching my plane ticket while my headphones drowned out the sounds of the terminal. It had been a week since Elijah dropped me off at my apartment, and I had not seen him since.

Leila had convinced me to visit for spring break, otherwise, I'd stay cooped up in my apartment re-watching New Girl, which sounded great except for the fact I was spiraling.

The pressure from school projects, work, and my stubborn emotions felt like a bomb ready to blow. My fuse was running short and I could not figure out a way to stop it.

The overhead speakers announced my flight was ready for boarding, so I gathered my belongings and texted Leila I'd arrive in an hour and a half

[Leila: I'll have food waiting :) ]

Smiling, I shoved my phone in my pocket and walked through the plane gate. My seat was snug in the back of the cabin. I shoved my duffle bag into the overhead compartment and settled beside the window.

My phone glowed with texts from my friends telling me to have a good flight, and I told them the same. We usually spent break together, but everyone had plans with their families this year, not to mention I needed to get away.

People filed past me, yet all I could focus on was my email icon with zero notifications. Unable to fight the urge, I refreshed the page to see if there were any new messages. To no surprise, there weren't.

Sigh.

I wasn't sure what I expected or wanted.

So, I set my phone on airplane mode and closed my eyes.

I AWOKE TO the pilot announcing our landing. The plane skidded across the runway, and I peered out of the window at Philadelphia coming into view. My body buzzed with excitement at the thought of seeing my sister.

I turned off airplane mode and sent a text that I had landed, only to find Leila was already here. As fast as I could, I beeline for pickup and looked around until a black Audi came into sight.

My sister, who was ready to topple over, rushed toward me with open arms. Her brown hair, which looked like mine but longer—thanks to the prenatal she was taking—cascaded down her back.

"I can't squish the baby!" I shouted, putting my hands out.

"The baby will be okay. Hug me right now." She pulled me into her arms and squeezed me. I melted into her body. She smelled like home, and I suddenly had the urge to cry.

"I've missed you," she said. "How was your flight?"

We climbed into the car, and I told her about the flight. It felt great to talk and to let loose. Not that I couldn't let loose around my friends, but it was different with my sister. She knew me because we were so similar.