10 | I win

─── • ───

─── • ───

AFTER MY STUDIO class, my art professor pulled me aside and asked how my overdue project was coming along. I assured her with one more hour in the studio, I'd be able to push through the finish line and turn it in. She seemed pleased I would finish before the extended due date. I was also pleased, considering that marked halfway through the semester.

I trudged across campus to meet my friends for coffee.

Reva already ordered my drink and held it toward me as I took a seat beside Iya. Dark lip-stick stains covered the lid, an obvious attempt made by Reva to wipe her sneaky sips away. I chuckled.

"Hey." I sipped the warm beverage, relaxing on the couch. "How was class?"

"Good. Have you started the new studio project yet?" Reva asked, biting into a croissant. My stomach growled at the sight, considering I hadn't eaten breakfast. She must've seen the hunger in my eyes because she tipped the treat toward me, silently offering a bite, but I shook my head. No sugar.

"Yes, it's much better than the portrait," I said, relieved. "Iya, has the theater department announced a new show yet?"

She nodded and filled us in on the new show plans after last week's fiasco, and Lucy told us about her upcoming engineering exam. I loved hearing about their majors, because despite us all going to the same college, we had such different academic experiences.

Amidst the conversation, my phone buzzed against my leg.

───────────────────────

From: elijahpreston10@TU.com

To: sadielane04@TU.com

Subject: Good Morning

          This would be easier with your number.

          I also never thought I'd be ghosted over email. That hurt a bit.

───────────────────────

I laughed at his message and looked around when I realized how loud I was. Lucy and Iya didn't seem to notice, but Reva narrowed her eyes like a suspicious mother. Not wanting to feed her curiosity, I shut my phone off and pretended I didn't get a message.

But my phone buzzed again.

───────────────────────

From: elijahpreston10@TU.com

To: sadielane04@TU.com