7. downtime

Mount Justice
August 27, 07:58 EDT
"
    The Aether, is the source of power for all Arcane Mayili. In it's nature, The Aether is a fifth dimension, occupying all corners of space that we, sentient and celestial beings, do not. As the matter that occupies the universe shifts and changes, a force of disorder is released. Mankind has developed their own understanding of this concept, defining the disorder as: entropy. Entropy is limitless and cannot be contained by the constructs of space or time. In this same manner, magic—including the the abilities of the Etheran and Arcane race—is the deviant of entropy itself. It both manipulates and negates the will of space and time. The progression of Mayilean magical abilities can thus be explained by this reasoning. As a prime example, the Arcanes, in latter history, developed the ability to create physical manifestations of the Aether, 'Mayi', and alter the fabric of space, portal creation.
The Etheran race, however, presents a more pressing point of discussion as their abilties are quite complex in nature. Etheran power, unlike its counterpart, is centrifugal. The Etheras utilize internal forces, allowing them to bend entropy itself to their will. These physical manifestations, 'Lea', are far more destructive and unpredictable in comparison to the Arcane 'Mayi.' The theorization of the Etheran race possessing the ability to bend disorder to their will, further explains why Etherans possess the ability to discern cosmic frequencies. As entropy expands and continues in our universe, cosmic frequencies are continuously released. These are known to the Etheran ear as steady hums. However, as magic negates natural entropy, these result in the release of larger, divergent frequencies that the Etheran ear is particular sensitive to.
The unknown variable of Mayilean magic—

"

    I shut the book for a moment, checking if the team was done showering yet

    I shut the book for a moment, checking if the team was done showering yet. Though, I wouldn't admit it, this wasn't my first time peeking out from my room since they got back. Actually, I may have already repeated this routine about five times now.

But finally, Robin stepped out from the lockers, hair still mussed and wet.

I came out from my hiding. "Robin, how was the—"

"Not now, Iris."

"Oh," he pushed past me, "Okay."

I was left to stand by myself in the middle of the hallway.

"Ignore him," Wally stepped out, hair also wet. "Are you still reading that book?"

"Yeah, um..." Speechlessly, I watched Wally walk into my room, barely gaining the sense to follow after him. "Don't you need permission to do that?"

"My bad." He lifted the leather book from my bed, pointing at the jewel. "Kind of blingy isn't it?"

"I don't know what that means."