26. the fix

Mount Justice
January 26, 00:16 EST

    "I wish I could go with," Cassie frowned.

    "I doubt your mother would approve. And only the six of us who stand accused need take this odyssey. Though Hawkman insists on accompanying his spouse and Icon will act as our advocate. For it seems he is familiar with intergalactic trial law."

    "He better be."

    "We will be all right," Diana put a hand on my shoulder. "I should think the harder mission remains here on Earth with you."

    She wasn't wrong. With most of the League MIA, that meant that the Team would have to handle a bulk of the action right now, and that includes this whole growing invasion debacle. Not to mention the plan.

    "Just... come back, okay?"

    Diana pulled me into a hug, whispering so only I could hear, "Take care of her."

    "I will."

    Cassie. As indestructible as she was, she was also still young and naive—not unlike myself when I first joined. Whatever feelings I harbored over not knowing Diana found another protégés would have to be ignored for the time being. Cassie needs someone to look out for her; someone she can trust.

    "Take care of yourself too," she pleaded.

    That seemed to be a promise harder to fulfill than the last. "Yeah..."

    John spoke up, "Time to go."

    His ring materialized a green sphere around all of them, that slowly morphed into a ship.

    "May the gods be with you all."

    It hovered up into the air before soaring up into the sky and disappearing from our sight.

    Everyone left to their own devices. Most went home, others like Barbara and the new Robin stayed with Nightwing for mission prep. I laid in my bed, staring at the ceiling, trying to fathom how we could pull any of this off. Then my head lulled to the left side—his side.

    I must have fallen asleep looking at it, because my eyes only opened again when my phone rang.

    "Hello?"

    "Rena, are we still on for breakfast?"

    "What?"

    "You forgot didn't you?"

    "No, no," I shot out of my bed realizing I was supposed to meet up with Artemis in an hour. "I'll be there."

    "Great! I'll see you later."

    I ripped my closet open, finding only clothes from Themyscira, which would certainly earn me a weird look in a civilian setting. Then I spotted the charred uniform that was ruined on Malina Island. Finding a replacement only piled onto the list of things I needed to do, but didn't have time for.

    The only way I could get some normal clothes was, "Ugh!" my fist landed in the wall, next to all the other indentations I'd made in the past. "Perfect."

Blüdhaven
January 26, 07:16 EDT

    I opened the door to find everything as I remembered it: scattered furniture, packed boxes, plants now dead, and canvases of paintings I never finished. The sight of it alone made my heart ache.

    I crept quietly into the bedroom, rummaging through our closet that hadn't changed either. Then as I undressed, I heard the door open. "Perfect," I mouthed silently.