15. failsafe

Mount Justice
October 16, 16:01

"
The unknown variable of Mayilean magic, however, is that despite the previous theorizations, Etheras developed prominent skills in manipulating sentient beings themselves. Many Etheras following the second and third centennial rotations, began to display magical capabilities related to the cognitive distortion of sights, smells, and even motor movement. While the practice is of high difficulty, and typically looked down on, Etheras possess the potential to exploit sentient beings, and possibly entire races.

"

    "Wonder Woman, above you!"

    She turned as a beam struck her at the chest. Then, just like that, she was gone.

    "Wait," I begged, stepping forward before I even realized I was reacting. If there were tears forming in my eyes, I pushed them away.

    "Stop it," I told myself. "This isn't real."

    But it also didn't feel fair.

    "Red Tornado to cave. I fear I am all that remains of the League."

    "RT!"

    "We are Earth's heroes now."

    "So what are we waiting for, a theme song?"

    "A strategy. Earth's weapons are ineffective, and it has been made tragically clear a direct attack will not succeed."

    "Checking satellite imagery," Robin worked on his computer. "Here's where the aliens are now." A majority of the hologram was already covered in red.

    Then, at the globe's top, a lone red point. "This one get lost?"

    "It's Superman's fortress of solitude!"

    "Superman has a fortress of solitude?"

    "Its power source must have attracted the aliens attention, at least enough to send a scout ship to investigate."

    "Must be some fortress."

    "Conner—"

    "No, it's ok. I guess there's a lot about Superman I'll never know. Uh, you know, now."

    "We will target this lone ship."

    "Yeah, break it down, build more, hit those ugly aliens with their own mojo—Ow!"

    "Martian, Mayilean, and Kryptonian in the house," Artemis whispered, watching the three of us carefully. 

    "Uh, heh heh. Not that all aliens are automatically ugly."

North Pole
- - , 00:00

    M'gann engaged in camouflage mode, ripping a piece of the ship off. "Communications disabled. Propulsion disabled."

    Artemis fired an arrow that foamed over the main window. "And ETs are sealed inside."

    Superboy and I leapt aboard the ship, holding its canon in place while they scanned it.

    "Identifying weapon's structural stress points and links to the ship. Here, here, and here."

    With her hands raised, the three pressure points collapsed under M'gann's control. It loosened the integrity of the ship enough for us to rip the canon off completely. We pulled with all our might, suddenly knocked to the floor.