24. gamma squad

Mount Justice
THREE YEARS EARLIER

    "Recognized: Nightwing B-01. Robin B-13."

    "Robin?" I repeated quietly.

    I was stood against the wall in the corner, silently watching everyone else train. A habit I picked up from Conner for when I was angry.

    Dick walked in with another boy at his side—it really was another Robin.He donned the same uniform, same mask, same arrogant stance.

    The Team instantly crowded around them, all eagerly trying to introduce themselves. I watched them hound on the two, before Robin—the new one—broke off from the group and began walking in my direction.

    I narrowed my eyes, scanning him.

    "This is Jason," Nightwing caught up with him. "Jason, this is—"

    "Iris, I know. You don't need to trail me everywhere I go."

    He seemed angry, a little rude even, but at the moment, I thought Dick deserved it.

    "Another Bird Boy?"

    "Jason is the new Robin."

    "Because I hadn't figured that out already?" I knew it came off mean—I wanted it to.

    Whatever better mindset I had returned from Themyscira with, was gone now. I thought things we be different, and that we would finally have a chance to do this right—and for months, we did. Date nights, honest conversations, and spending every night in each other's arms; it felt perfect.

    Until Tula died. Kaldur left. Then Dick and I got in a fight, and he decided to run away too... to Zatanna.

    Now instead of being lost and choking my feelings down, I was bitter and angry, in love with someone who ran away.

    Jason scanned me the way I did to him just a moment ago. "I hear you're supposed to be the power house of this team."

    "What else have you heard about me?"

    "That's you're a magic user, orphan alien without a planet—"

    "Robin!" Nightwing scolded.

    It might have been offensive had my anger not all been directed elsewhere.

    "And you've taken down Wonder Woman," he continued impressively, ignoring Nightwing.

    "More of zombied out version of her, but sure, all true."

    "I also heard you and 'Robin Number One' here don't get along," he smirked, making my eyes narrow at Dick. "It kind of makes me think you're the only sane one in this cave."

    He held a hand out for me to shake, which I took simply because he entertained me. Besides, him not liking Dick fueled something in me. I liked having someone on my side.

    "It's nice to meet you, Jason."

Mount Justice
January 4, 19:06 EST

    But all I was looking at now was just a hologram.

    Nightwing speaking over my comm broke me from my stare. "Iris, the team's all here for debrief."

    Everyone was already lined up in the mission room, staring at some sort of map with a lot of marked points. "It's all hands on deck. The League and the Team will hit all 14 Krolotean Zeta locations simultaneously."