28. the girls

*  indicates speech over lens interface

* indicates speech over lens interface

Mount Justice
February 19, 15:14 EDT

"New uniform?"

"Well, my last one sort of blew up."

"I like it."

"All of it? Or just the legs?"

His eyes finally snapped up to meet mine. "Heh, sorry. I like it; it reminds me of your old one."

    "Mhm."

    "What about all your amazon gear?"

    If he meant the helmet, bracers, and everything else they'd gifted me, they were tucked away in my closet. I couldn't help but feel that if they saw me now, I'd seem undeserving—that they'd regret sharing the title of Amazon with someone so weak; someone who gave in so easily to her worst impulses.

    They'd be disappointed. Diana especially.

    "I read your briefing for this mission," I moved on. "Big lineup for recon... I was thinking I might sit out."

    "What? No, I need you out there."

    "But you know I don't like Bialya." I wondered if he could see through my lie. That Bialya wasn't the problem, it was having to work directly with Barbara Gordon. "Besides, Miss Martian and Cassie are already going. That's more than another manpower to—"

    "It's not about manpower. I need you there so we can test this," he held up a familiar black casing.

    "Didn't know you kept that."

    "You worked on it for two years. Why would I get rid of it?"

    It was the sixth or seventh model of an idea I abandoned years ago, along with everyone else. A contact lens interface that could replace the need for comm and computers on a mission.

    "You always said you wanted to test the prototype over long distance." He put the case in my hands. "What better time than now?"

    "Emphasis on the word 'prototype.' For all we know, it could explode in my eye."

    "You can magic that back, right?"

    I gave him an unamused laugh, but he changed tact, taking a step closer. "I"ll make it up to you," he whispered.

    "Sure you will."

    His hands wrapped around my waist. "I mean it."

    The sane voice in my head begged me to pull away; to scream that this would never work and we should give up while we're ahead. The rest of my idiotic self wanted nothing more than to kiss him.