17. bashing

Central City
October 31, 18:00 CDT

    "The last thing I intended for my evening was gluing hair to your face." I pressed the fake beard to Wally's chin.

    "M'gann and I have a date tonight. I have to look good."

    "Wally, she invited the entire team," I pointed out. "I doubt she's patiently waiting for your beard and pointy ears to make an appearance."

    "Don't forget the nose too."

    "And your nose," I tapped the tip of his nose that we colored with a marker.

    "You sure you don't want to come with me? I've got some crazy moves hidden in my pocket."

    "No, I already promised Fawn I'd go with her to the GA dance."

    "Right, Fawn. The friend who you let boss you around all the time?"

    "She doesn't 'boss me around.' She's just a little set in her ways."

    "Mhm, sure," Wally said. "So, what are you going to dress up as?"

    "It's some costume that Fawn.... told me to wear."

    He had a satisfied smirk on his face. "What about your robotics club people? Won't they be at the dance too?"

    "I don't know. I didn't ask." I pressed down on the side burn that wouldn't stick to his face. "Hold still."

    "All I'm saying is, you're allowed to have an enjoyable high school experience. I don't think being friends with Fawn and all those people is the answer."

    "You sound like Robin," I laughed weakly, feeling my entire mood darken at his name.

    "If you miss him that much, why don't you go talk to him?"

    "I don't want to make him angrier."

    "I don't think he's angry with you. He's probably just—"

    "Disappointed?"

    Wally's smile faded. "I think he wants to be close to you, he's just confused how to do it."

    My eyes glued to the floor. "I don't want to let anyone down."

    "That doesn't mean you should ignore what you want."

    "What if I don't know what I want?"

    My eyes met with Wally's, neither of us having an answer for that kind of question.

    "You'll find it," he smiled for me. "Besides, it's your first Halloween! All you should be thinking about is the dance and candy."

    Despite his advice, it was hard to enjoy a night I was dreading. "You know I'm still lost on this whole bashing thing."

"Dance," Wally corrected. "Bashing is a little different."

"Then why did they call it the Halloween Bash if we're not bashing?"