30. you and me

Mount Justice
TWO YEARS EARLIER

"Come on, Rena," he cornered me again. "Just one night."

"Still no, Jason." He brought up the idea of a date a few weeks ago and while I continued to say no, I had to admire his persistence.

"Why not?"

"Aren't you a little too young for me?"

"By a year and a half," he frowned. "This is about Grayson."

"Right, he's like your brother. That's weird."

"I think you overestimate the loyalty I feel towards him. Look, I know the truth hurts, but he doesn't care. If he did, he wouldn't keep leaving you."

This is one of the longest breaks Dick and I had ever taken. Maybe it was time to accept that he wasn't coming back. "You care?"

"A lot."

"Fine," I surrendered. "What're we going to do?"

"Whatever you want. We could do normal people stuff or punching our way through the city."

"Maybe save the second one for another time. I want something normal, no bad guys or uniforms," I tugged on his Robin shirt, "Just you and me doing something boring."

He nodded with a grin still plastered across his face. "You and me."

"Warning. Unknown energy impulse detected."

Mount Justice
February 28, 10:07 EST

The computer alarm broke me from my thoughts. I ran into the mission room where a massive sphere of electricity crackled at the center.

Dick and I blocked the kids, as a small wall of purple grew from my hands, separating us from whatever was coming.

When the charge fizzled out, a giant metal vessel crashed on the floor. The latch to the door began to turn. "Stand ready."

"Ta-da!"

A kid jumped out.

"Intruder alert. Intruder alert."

"Computer. Lock down cave."

"Well," Gar said, "I think we found our unknown energy impulse."

"Impulse? That's so crash! Catchy. Dramatic. One word."

A speedster.

"Like Nightwing, and Robin, and oo, Iris," he grabbed my hand. "You are even prettier in person," he said dreamily before running to Gar. "And Beast Boy. Except that's two words. Blue Beetle's two words. Hey, is he here too?" he raced down the hall. "Never mind, Impulse can find that out for himself!"

"You two," Nightwing instructed. "Take him down. Now."

Robin and Gar followed after him.

"We're crash?"

"That's what you're questioning?" my eyes narrowed. "Let's talk about him falling from the sky or being a speedster like Wally!"

"Oh please," Nightwing scoffed, "You didn't stop him because he called you pretty."