40. letting go

Central City
June 20, 05:27 CDT

Barry had become far more lenient in my restrictions. Wally had stopped by a couple more times, and I was now allowed to watch TV. 

Like the replay broadcast of Blue Beetle on the news.

"Blue Beetle, Blue Beetle, a moment?" 

"For the famed Cat Grant? I'm at your service."

"Jell-O?" Barry offered, holding out a cup of red jelly and a spoon.

"Thanks."

"So, you've begun handling situations that once upon a time, were a job for Superman."

"Hey, if the Justice League's too busy, I'm happy to pick up to the slack." 

I glanced at Barry uncomfortably. "You know, if the League needs help you could go—"

"And leave you here by yourself? Yeah, that's not happening."

"I am not going to hurt anyone, Barry."

"And what if someone comes here to hurt you?"

"I told you already." A lump formed in my throat. "Everyone in the building died."

"And who killed them?"

I tried to search for an answer I knew I did not have. "Red... hood man."

"Hm, and where is 'Red Hood Man' now?"

"Off doing 'Red Hood Man' things? Maybe he is saving another alien girl from her kidnappers."

"Look, as annoying as it is to sit here with me, Blue isn't hurting anyone right now. The League can rebuild their reputation when all of this is settled and you've finished your Jell-O."

I turned back to the TV, spooning defeatedly at the cup. "I am so honored by your kind attentions," Blue Beetle waved. "And so honored to be your—We interrupt this program to bring you breaking news. Alien technology has been sprouting up globally, inflicting high power natural disasters worldwide."

I turned the volume up.

"Devices have already been spotted in multiple locations all over the world including Gotham, Metropolis, Taipei, and Paris."

My eyes grew wide seeing the disasters these machines had already caused. "Barry, are you seeing this?

"Barry?" 

I finally pried my eyes from the TV to see Barry was gone. The room to my door had barely swung shut, and the pencil on my bedside table rolled onto the floor. 

He had scribbled a note before he left. 

Need to help the League. Don't move.

Moving was not very likely with the cuffs around my ankles. But sitting and waiting was not an option. I had to do something. Anything.

"I am sorry, Barry," I sighed, snaking my deformed fingers beneath the cuffs. I gave a great tug, then another, finally able to snap the metal apart.

It was hard to walk out of the hospital room casually; especially when everyone knew I was on twenty-four hour watch. That might be why I resorted to sprinting out with dozens of nurses and doctors shouting after me.

I broke through into the street, turning left and right to realize I did not know where I was. More importantly, I had no idea where the nearest zeta tube could be. Not to mention ever onlooker was fascinated by the hospital gown and my eyes.