5. out of my mind

Mount JusticeAugust 8, 09:58 EDT

Mount Justice
August 8, 09:58 EDT

"First a moment of silence for our absent comrade."

M'gann bowed her head. "Poor Wally."

I grew uncomfortable with the way my feet sank into the ground, shifting on my heels left and right to gain some bearings.

"If you don't like the sand, you should get in the water."

"Uh..." I looked forward to the endless water, violently rushing back and forth. "I am fine where I am."

"Come on," he hummed, "A little water never hurt anyone. Right Kaldur?"

"The ocean can be quite healing," Kaldur smiled.

He was referring to the ocean that looked as if it could swallow me whole. "You should go first."

"How about we go in together?" Robin held a hand out for me. One that I did not take. "The ocean's not gonna hurt you, Iris. Especially not while you have me on lifeguard duty with you."

"Don't worry, I was scared of the water too," M'gann assured me. "But then I remember how I'd always see humans enjoying the beach in the programs I watched back on Mars. Like the cheer squad's beach trip in episode five of—uh... Never mind."

He jutted his hand further. "Have I ever misled you?"

Reluctantly, I took Robin's hand and let him walk me to the water's edge. Slowly, the water dribbled towards my feet. It felt cold and foreign, but there was little time to adjust as Robin pulled me forward.

The water beneath my ankles rose to my knees, then my waist.

"See, it's not so bad."

I looked nervously towards Robin's eager face. "It's cold."

"You're telling me that Mayilean skin can't handle a little cold?"

"I do not know! Maybe I have a vulnerability."

"Breathing okay?"

"Yes."

"Body parts still intact?"

"Yes."

"Any fever, pain, or urge to combust?"

"...No."

"Then, no vulnerability."

I sighed in surrender. "Then, what do we do now?"

"This!"

The ocean water doused my face, leaving a horrible salty taste in my mouth. "What was that for?"

"Fun," Robin cackled, gripping his stomach out of joy. But within a moment, he was soon spitting the salt water out of his mouth too.