33. savior complex

Gotham City
TWO YEARS EARLIER

    My hands were rummaging through the bathroom drawer only to find the cigarettes were gone. I slammed it shut, "Damn you, Grayson."

    With no other options, I fell into our bed. My arms and legs stretched out, all the way into the empty space to my left. I ran my hand across the cold sheet, tracing the ident of his body.

    I hated having the bed to myself—something that, unfortunately, has become more frequent along with our fighting.

    What's wrong with us?

    Why do we do this? I get mad and say something I don't mean, then he runs so far away. I chose to live here so I could feel less alone, but this may be the loneliest I've ever felt.

    Tonight, without warning, I reached a tipping point. Thoughts of Jason swarmed my mind; thoughts of Dick not coming home and where he could possibly be. I can't keep listening to him say he loved me in-between all the dysfunction. And I can't keep being on this team without Jason.

    I have to leave.

Mount Justice
March 23, 21:05 EDT

    "So that's 22 to 0?"

    "I don't understand what I'm doing wrong."

    "Thinking you can beat me for a start."

    I pulled him back to his feet, only for the space between us to disappear. He leaned into me, arm around my waist, and a smirk on his lips, "Maybe I don't want to beat you."

    "What do you want then?"

    We began shamelessly making out in the middle of the mission room, unbothered by the fact that the kids could walk in on us any second.

    "Recognized: Blue Beetle, B-22. Impulse, B-23."

    Nearing Wally's speed, we pulled away, fixing our hair and straightening ourselves out.

    "Left them in the dust!"

    "Left who in the dust?"

    I pointed to the device in Bart's hand. "And what is that?"

    "Glad you asked, beautiful. Souvenir."

    "Souvenirs are Beast Boy's thing, ese."

    "Really? I thought it was Kid Flash—"

    "Can we get to it?" I cut them off.

    "Sorry," Jaime apologized. "Aqualad attacked us with Icicle Jr, the Terror Twins, and a ninja girl I didn't recognize."

    "This," he held up the device, "is how they tracked Blue. I made sure they couldn't do it again."

    My eyes narrowed. "So you brought foreign, possibly alien tech into the Cave? Rookie mistake."

    Dick's hand landed on my back, telling me to calm down. To remember that these were kids, not soldiers. "Ugh, fine. Give it here."

    The computer was scanning and decoding the device. I whispered, "Why would they attack Blue and Impulse?"

    "I don't know."

    "Dick, don't lie to me."

    He grabbed my hand, "It'll be okay."

    But I didn't care for the vague response. "What will be okay?"

    There was no time for him to answer me. The second the computer beeped, a blur crashed into my side. An unconscious Conner.