Chapter 42

"What do you mean?" I ask her .

"I won't allow my only daughter marry a jailbird ." She says with a straight face .

"What are you insinuating? Just because he's a "jailbird" he's not good enough? I'm a fucking jailbird too mother!" I shout .

"Cassiey calm down. Dont disrespect momma. " Beth steps in .

"You better shut the fuck up." I bite out .

"What?" Both Beth and Momma say .

"You've replaced me with her? When I'm ever going to be enough for you? I married a rich man , the way you've always wanted .

You raised me saying that you want me to marry someone who can afford to build a life with me , and where did that end up?

You took me to karate lessons, I learnt to fight and where did that end up?

You told me to stand up for myself and I did , I fucking stood up for myself and you publicly called me a disappointment.

And while I'm fighting for my freedom in court , you adopt a grown ass woman?

She's enough for you ? So why the fuck do you think that you have a right to tell me that you dont approve of my choice? I love Ace and it doesnt matter what you think." I say tearing up.

Ace drops his hand on my thigh . And squeezes my thigh in support .

"And it's this jailbird that's made you speak to me like this? "

I look at her and my eyebrows scrunch in confusion . What the fuck is up with this human?

"Leave Ace out of this . I love him and it doesnt matter what you think of him . What matters is what I think ." I say to her .

And she scoffs . She laughs and looks at me.

"Cassandra , why do you just insinuate on embarrassing yourself , why do you insist on bringing sorry excuses of men here to meet me?" She asks .

"I admit mother , Jason was a shitty choice . But Ace , Ace is amazing . And he loves me momma . He didnt care that I was a criminal , he chose to love me for me .

And you know what mother , it doesnt matter what you think .

I think you should know that I was and am not obliged to bring Ace here for you to meet . I chose to bring here because I thought it'd be right of me as you daughter to bring him here ." I say to her , and she looks at me .

"He didnt care that you're a criminal because he too is a criminal . I'm very disappointed to be your mother ." She says .

"You? disappointed? Wow . Listen here mother , honestly I'm not here for your opion .

I came here because I want to show you that I'm not like you , that I actually care . Unlike you , once someone leaves my life . I dont delete their memories the way you do .

You've said that you've failed in me but honestly you've failed yourself as a mother . You're a horrible woman and a horrible human being .

But most of all you've failed your mother . She hasn't passed anything to you because you only care about yourself and not me , your child!

And I didnt want to bring it here but you asked for it , you've failed dad too . Because he begged you , he asked you to take care of me . But you , you failed him and he'll never forgive you . You're..." I say but she interrupts me with a hard slap across my face .

She raises her hand again , but a manly hand catches the hand .

"No , you're not going to do that. Listen here woman . I have no idea what you and Cassandra are fighting about .