Chapter 63

Ace's POV

I walk into our house for the first time in seven plus days . With Cass and the baby's stuff in hand .

I place them on the nook couch and head back to help Cass out .

She walks infront of me as I carry our son in .

She hasn't said more than one sentence since Jason was killed . It's really starting to worry the shit out of me .

I've always known that she cared about Jason but not to the extent that she'd go into instant depression like that.

When we get to the living room , I stand behind her . She stares blankly at the spot Jason occupied almost seven days ago .

Tears form in her eyes as she stares there , I walk up the stairs to the nursery.

Baby Hero is fast asleep , I put him in his cort bed and walk back downstairs.  I plop onto the yellow couch and stare at her as she carries the dishes from the table and to the kitchen.

She's been this quiet since the officer spoke to us .

The cop walked up to us with a sad look painting his face .

"I'm so sorry Mr and Mrs Bernett.  There could've been ways to avoid this , we were still strategizing one." He had said , I remember how my jaw ticked as I look into his eyes .

His eyes averted to the side as I asked him .

"How long has she been out here? " His face looked to be a bit nervous when he replied.  I could tell that he was worried about his own safety.

He does know that I'm an ex-convict.

"Its been two day. But I assure you Mr Bernett , we were on her case , we were about to..." he began .

"You were about to what? Get of your every-minute-donut-break? Why were we not informed about this ?" I asked him , his face drained of colour , knowing exactly what his answer is going to cause.

"We were informed about your wife's condition,  the doctors advised that we do not say anything or else something bad might happen . Considering what your wife had been through.  I'm sorry Mr Bernett ." He said .

"Do you realise that she could have killed us all! Do you fucking realise that you had endangered not only my family's lives but you endangered that of everyone in this hospital ?

You have no idea what that bitch is capable of. And we don't know who she was here to kill! We dont know who her target was! Had you told me , I'd had had guards securing this place .

And that is a pathetic excuse sir , if my life is on the line then I have a right to know , no matter mine or my wife's condition . You have no idea how much damage could have been done ." I yelled .

I still dont understand or agree with his excuse , but I dont have another option . What's done is done .

Although now my wife is in shock . She barely says anything anymore.

She washes the dishes quietly , her face is almost as red as a tomato.  Quiet sniffs can be heard from here .

"Baby , are you okay?" I ask her. She looks up , and a tear slips . She nods and give me a tight lipped smile .

"Yes." She says then looks back down . Her voice is gentle and calm.

After that we head upstairs and she sleeps as I hold her .

I know that she's not asleep , but I just want to give her as much space as I can. But at all at once loving and supporting her through it .

After some time,  I fall asleep.  My body loosens up as I get comfortable .