Chapter 54

Ace's POV

I honestly appreciate Jason's help , but if he does not allow me to interrogate that harlot of his then I'm never going to find my wife and child .

I drive off to her mother's.  I need a break . The entire way , I'm questioning who could've done this .

The only lead that I get is Kayla . Nobody else is as evil as she is . I just know that it's her.

I knock on the door and Bethany opens , she gives me a one handed hug then says .

"You look like you needed it ." She says .

She ushers me into the welcoming house . I find momma sitting on a couch drinking tea . When she sees me she bolts up,  almost spilling the tea on herself .

"Have you found her?" She asks . I shake my head and she walks over and pulls me into a hug .

"Let me make you some tea ." Bethany says .

A little boy walks over to me , must be Bethany's husband's child .

"Hi." He says .

"Hello , little man." I say , trying very hard not to show my sadness , when in reality it's harder than it sounds.

"What's your name?" He asks .

"My name is Ace , what's yours little man?" I ask him .

"My name is Jeremy . How old are you Uncle Ace?" He asks me smiling at me .

There's just something about kids that makes you unable to be sad.

"I'm very old lad , I'm thirty six . How old are you? You must be fifty from those big muscles I see." I say smiling at him .

"No Uncle Ace , that's too old . I'm nine . " he says laughing.

"That's enough Jeremy , go to daddy okay? Uncle Ace needs to speak to gammy." Bethany says holding two cups of tea.

She gives me one of it and she sits down holding the other .

"How are you holding up." Momma asks , giving me a smile . I feel shy knowing that she just saw that transaction between Jeremy and I .

"I'm not coping Mrs Miller . It hurts ." I say honestly .

"I have faith Ace , we're going to find her." She says .

"If you'd like , I can arrange a search party , to look for her?" Bethany offers .

"That would be great Beth.  I appreciate your help. " I say to them . They nod .

I bring the tea to my lips . It tastes amazing . Its sweet and smooth , just like the one Cass and I drink .

Oh , Cass where are you? My heart sinks into my chest , thoughts of my wife .

What if something happens to her , what will I do? Where will I go? How do I move on? How do I just forget her? How do I just erase her ?

It's just not possible . My entire body aches from lack of sleep. I spent nights  checking every alley there is in New York and every homeless shelter .

The bags under my eyes are very unattractive.  But how can I care about being attractive when the only person I want to be attractive for is somewhere out there.

"Oh Lord . I know that I barely talk to you.  I know I'm the last person to search for help from you .

Please God , I beg of you.  Keep her safe, I'm going to find her . I know I've wronged you in many ways oh father in heaven .