Chapter Seven: The Book of Perdition

Azazel felt a rush of enthusiasm pump in his human vessel, which aroused his keen senses as he approached the tall building. He was intoxicated with power while walking amongst the weaker creations knowing he could inflict immense damage to their fragile makeup with a snap of his finger. He let out a small, wicked pleasing laugh to himself at this very thought. His distorted angelic sixth sense began to sting, sparking with deep intentions of evil. He could hear the whispers of the shadowy Stygians grow louder, echoing praises into his ears.

The sweet smell of old angel flesh tickled his nose. There was no mistake that this prestigious apartment building was the right place to find the Book of Perdition. Revenge...sweet revenge was Azazel's motive. It was the one thing that gave comfort to Azazel during his long exile. Knowing one day, he would get his chance of revenge on those who imprisoned him. Lucifer promised it would come.

Lucifer often spoke with Azazel using their angelic telepathy. Lucifer was the only Fallen Angel powerful enough to penetrate Azazel's crystal tomb walls. Together they imagined, plotted, and patiently waited for this day to come. Getting out of his confinement was the first step. The second was to find the Book of Perdition, which led him here. It was close, and once the book was in hand, the final steps to unleash the deadly wrath upon Earth could begin. The long-awaited Armageddon would commence.

The Book of Perdition was the most critical piece in this plan. It contained the locations of the imprisoned Fallen Angels, harnessed vital black magic spells, and held the unique formula that would open the gateways to the insidious realms. The realms to which God himself sealed, deeming them ominously unstable to coexist.

The Book was Lucifer's masterful creation. It was the literal map to destroy all their Father held dear. Written in the devil's blood and bounded by his flesh gave it a dark, consuming power to any who dare open it. It devoured human souls with the temptation of sinful promises. By using his flesh and blood, Lucifer gave the Book a life of its own.

When Lucifer finished the Book, he entrusted it to another Fallen Angel named, Ramiel. Ramiel chose to betray his brethren by stealing the Book, hoping to earn forgiveness and regain his place in the Heavens. Instead, Ramiel hid the Book of Perdition from Lucifer and God, realizing it was the only thing protecting him from destruction. In return for Ramiel's actions, God sentenced him to walk the earth alone for all eternity.

As time passed, Ramiel disappeared into the human world, never to reveal himself again, and the Book of Perdition became lost to all who knew about its existence until the day Nathan Withers stumbled upon it.

Azazel took a deep breath putting his two fingers up to his forehead. A tiny purplish spark snapped from the tips of his fingers. Azazel probed the remnants of Nathan's memories seeking out information about the Book.

He saw a younger Nathan exploring in a forest with his friend, Kyle. During a hike along an old overgrown path, the earth gave way beneath Nathan's feet. He fell into a cave about 10 feet down. Once the rocky dust cleared from the fall, he could see some strange, faded symbols carved into the chamber's rock walls, realizing it was no ordinary cave. Azazel recognized each Angelic emblem placed perfectly around the area to cast a shield from detection.

"Whoa, man, you ok?" asked Kyle from above, peering down.

"Yeah, I think so," Nathan answered, dusting himself off and clearing his throat. "I think I found some old Indian dwelling or something."

"Cool," said Kyle, pulling out a flashlight from his pack shining it down. All he could see was a rising dust cloud.

"Hey, toss the flashlight down here," Nathan instructed.