Chapter Eleven: Promise of Goodbye

My feet touched the sand a few seconds after Gabriel's. I let go of him, feeling a little disoriented. My legs wobbled for the first few steps kicking up the dust of dry beach sand on top of my sneakers. His wings vanished once we landed faster than they had appeared. I slid the bag off my shoulders, throwing it down against the bleached dirt.

James's beach house was just over a massive sandhill. Gabriel picked this spot to make sure we had cover hidden away from any potential danger. I started to move uphill when Gabriel gripped my shoulder hard enough to stop me.

"Wait here, Callie. I will check it out first," he ordered.

"No, I am coming with you! I know he is here. I feel it," I ordered back.

"Then stay behind me. Something else is here too. I smell it," Gabriel's face distorted, writhing his nose from the incoming stench.

"What is it?" I asked, pinching my nose to keep out the rotten stink.

"Not sure. All I know is evil is present. It could be James if he has changed. Either way, we know others are looking for him too. It is not safe to assume anything," Gabriel reminded me. He flipped his wrist quickly, unveiling a golden sword. One edge was sharp and smooth, with handwritten encryption etched into the center of the blade. The other edge had small sharp teeth tightly knitted together. The t-shape handle decorated in blue sapphires matched the likeness of Gabriel's eyes when they sparkled.

"Nice trick," I said, impressed.

"It appears when needed," he replied.

Gabriel's strong legs moved swiftly up the mound of loose sand. I followed behind him, struggling to keep pace. Each step I took felt like I was melting into the sand, pushing me further away. I stopped, winded from the tedious steps of the rough terrain. I leaned over, clutching the sharp pain building in my ribs.

Gabriel noticed I was falling behind. He reached back, effortlessly lifting me the rest of the way.

"Thanks," I breathed, able to catch my breath.

"Shh....;" Gabriel shushed me. "Get down," He whispered, pushing me gently down to the ground. His body rested on top of mine in a shield of armor. His hair fell into his eyes, and I instinctively brushed it away with my fingertips. Our eyes met differently for a brief moment. Something about it made a strange feeling ignite. That other part of me squirmed, rattling around inside, trying to surface. My blood felt electric, coursing furiously through my veins. I exhaled in an exerted moan. Gabriel immediately broke off from the connection realizing the effect of the unintended glance while I gathered myself. He switched back into protector mode, placing himself beside me to focus back on our surroundings. He looked around intensely, examining the area for danger.

Peering over the hill, we could see James's beach house. A dim flickering light danced from the inside. I fought the urge to run to it, to James. The promise I made Gabriel sat heavy on my heart. I loved James. The thought of never touching him again ripped at me. How could I be expected to give up something so important to me? If we were soul mates like Gabriel suggested, then how could he expect me to walk away. It would not only be breaking my heart to say goodbye, but it quite possibly could take a piece of my soul. I know I promised, but I was not sure if I could keep this one.

We noticed something moving in the darkness. A large dark green fog stealthily moved in the shadows. It bounced and glided on the sand toward the house.

"James is here, so is the Hunter," Gabriel said, springing to his feet. He jumped off the top of the hill and into the air. His wings branched out, taking flight. Like a hawk after prey, he dove towards the Hunter as it reached the porch. A loud clanging sound erupted along with a spark. Gabriel interrupted the Hunter's camouflage. I could see the Hunter now. He stood about 7 feet taller than Gabriel. The sheer sight of the Hunter's sizable mass made me fearful for Gabriel. It wore black metal armor similar to a knight. His eyes burned like pieces of hot coal. The green fog swirled around him. His sword oozed this very substance as it engulfed Gabriel. I could not see either of them. I could hear their swords banging together in combat. I held my cross in my hands, reminding me I was not alone. There were forces I did not understand at play.