Chapter Seventeen: Not Today Satan

It was so damn cold. The salty ocean water slowly filled my lungs, stinging with every gasp of air I could get as I struggled to stay above each incoming wave. My limbs felt heavy from the hyperthermia settling in. The shards of sheet ice floated on the surface of the water, scratching at my hands and face. The darkness beneath the water was alluring peaceful as my muscles stiffened and cramped. I broke to the surface, gasping for air. It was just as cold and violent as the water I was taking in, only more accessible for my lungs to allow in. I glimpsed to the shore. My home was on fire, surrounded by a dense fog. A battle was happening on the shoreline. Another wave swept me under. The sound of bubbling water filled my ears.

My limbs ached as I pushed myself to the surface again. I swam with the current trying to get back to the shore. I heard James screaming for me but could not locate him. I saw Gabriel flying above, searching for me. I tried to lift my hands to signal him but was pushed under by a clobbering wave. The ocean let go of its pull, allowing me a moment of air just in time to see something hit Gabriel. He fell fast and lifeless into the water near me. Another wave pulled me under. The piercing, salty coldness filled my lungs. The silence of the water was calling me to stay this time. The frigid water became like a weighted blanket of comfort, promising a tranquil world within it. This was it. This was how I was going to die. We were losing..........

I woke up coughing and gagging, aching all over. I sat up, catching my breath. I startled James, who lay next to me. Nothing like a night terror to whisk the romance away.

"You alright?" He asked, jumping up beside me. He started to pat my back lightly to help.

"Yes, the dreams are back. The break was nice while it lasted," I choked.

"Do you think it was important?" James questioned.

"We can talk about it later. I want to lay here with you for a little longer," I said. I did not want to discuss my dream, especially the content. James did not need to know I dreamt of my possible death, not right now. We both laid back down. I rolled over, cuddling up to James beneath the cool white sheets. I rested my head on his bare chest listening to the sound of his heartbeat. Our warm bodies entwined together like vines wrapped around a tree. His arms came over, hugging me in snug. He made a shield of protection against the impending doom I was feeling. He kissed my forehead then relaxed his lips there for a few seconds. My panic found the solace it needed with him near me.

"Good morning," I said, smiling up at him restarting our day.

"Good morning," He answered with a pleasing smirk, then batted his eyelashes at me.

I giggled. "I love you, James Wu," I sincerely whispered to him. If my dream or vision was an ending, I needed him to hear those words clearer than ever and savor this memory.

"I love you, Callie Stephens," he whispered back. His long smooth fingers tickled my shoulder, sending pacifying chills down my body. Lying beside James gave me a natural serenity I could not feel without him. It was invigorating feeling his body next to mine. I wanted to pause the world around us to indulge this moment longer without any outside menacing interferences. We laid peacefully wrapped in each other's arms for as long as we could until the outside world came to life, bringing about another unknown day. We could only hope we would have many more moments like this one.

The early sunrise shined its prism color palate through my windows, and the sound of the winter gulls echoed from outside. The low tide muted the song of the icy wave musical. The voices of the other houseguests were faintly murmuring into the bedroom. Ariel was back inside the house because it was cracking and groaning louder than usual.