31. Dusty Attic

Athena

One week later

....what the fuck was that?

This was a question that was in my mind for a whole week now. We haven't spoken a single word to each other. Not about the incident, not about his anger, not about Eva or Alan.

Forget all that. No good mornings or good nights, no yes or no. Just....he walked around like I didn't exist.

For a whole damn week. The uncomfortable and awkward silence hung whenever we stayed in one room. So he would walk away when it became more than 2 minutes.

I didn't even know if he ever came home. I would wait up for him but eventually would fall asleep and wake up alone too. Every single day Julie, that suspicious maid, would tell me he went to work in the morning.

In fact, everyone seems to see Ace around the mansion but not me.

Since I was an obsessive bitch I went to meet Eva and Alan a few more times, without Ace. I thought I would catch up on something but I always came back with empty hands.

Only two answers for this. One, they were too good to let anything slip. Two, they were saying the fucking truth.

It was evening and I had a book in my hand. But I couldn't concentrate one bit. Why would Ace shout at her like that? As if they had some bad blood? I thought they probably ended their relation badly but the way Ace reacted got me thinking.

He wasn't one to let stupid things get him. Yes, he would be irritated, but he wouldn't waste his energy shouting like a mad man.

I sighed out loudly. I need a break.

"Hey, Julie." I greeted tiredly, slumping down on the kitchen island. "Can you make me a sweet drink for me?"

"Is mango juice okay?" I nodded, to which she got into work uninterestedly.

This was another concern that I had since I married Ace. That's almost six months now. Julie was an absolute mystery.

She hates me. But why would she hate me? I always made sure she didn't cook my food since I didn't want to die from poison.

"Are you alright ma'am? You look terrible." She commented as she set down the glass in front of me, staring at my form in distaste.

She doesn't even hide it.

"I...am just tired." Should I tell her? Why should I tell her?

"Boss is being a problem, isn't he?" She said in a duh tone, already moving away to wash the dishes.

Wait. If she has been working here for a long time I can maybe find out what happened five years ago?

I just hummed in answer while taking a sip of my fruity drink. "How long have you been working here?" I carefully asked, staring at her form still doing the dishes.

"3 years now." Dammit. The only person who had a chance to know was Shane, but he has been avoiding me recently. That is enough for me to understand I won't get my answer from him.

"Boss is really hard to open up." I looked up at Julie, frowning at her comment. "He is someone who doesn't like to admit things. He prefers for others to find it out themselves. And those people who do know him are so less in this world." Was she making me feel bad?

He prefers to find it out themselves.

My heart leaped when a thought occurred to me.

Of course. Albums and photos, diaries, books, souvenirs....anything could help now.