45. An Assassin's Pay

Ace

"Eva Rivers is given 20 years in tough imprisonment, along with 5 million dollars as fine."

I felt nothing. She was gonna suffer, yes, but will that bring back my family?

I watched, her head high up as if she was still proud of what she did, and went away obediently with the officers with a smirk on her face.

I did not like it whenever she smirked.

"Ace. We need to leave." My uncle Steve voiced from beside me.

Steve and Stephan. Twin brothers of the business world. I saw him as my father since he came around a lot. Unmarried and easy-going guy. 

His grief for his brother was beyond anguishing.

I simply nodded, getting up and straightening my suits. Eva would be in prison for the next 20 years.

I hope I would die and join my family somewhere in that time.

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

"NO! THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!"

"Ace please calm down, we can sort this out- -"

"Sort this out?! How are you gonna sort out something this shitty? What do you mean, Eva is out of prison? She has 17 more years to go!" I roared.

I couldn't help it.

My family died in despair, she was given a fate that would never match theirs but I went with it. And now, just in three years, she is out like a free bird? After killing my prized jewels?

"There is no use getting angry! We need to try and find a way to put her back in!" Uncle Steve shouted back and I knew he was wounded too.

Why did I meet her? Why did I date her? Why didn't I try to find anything about her, her backgrounds or stories, anything?

This is not fair.

My eyes stung with the word fair. There was nothing called fair, or deserving, or forgiving.

A facade of bullshit, that's what it was.

"I am leaving." I spat out, brushing past his bend-over frame, and strode out.

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

That was the infamous gala where I met my wife for a brief moment of 3 minutes. Where she spilled her champagne on my outfit and hers as well, where I bumped into her during my angry stride.

Two whole years later she was standing in front of me by the altar. To be my wife.

I failed to put Eva back in jail. Forget put, I couldn't even find her. It was as if she vanished from the face of the earth. I saw her last at the court where she was sentenced, and five years later see her on that night, with Alan.

An assassin who didn't forget her ways, that's what she was.

"Boss?" Shane's voice snapped me out of my deep thoughts. I looked outside to see I was at my mansion.

Dropped off Athena at her house.

I sighed. "Take a day off Shane, today was too much." I ordered stiffly, getting out of the car and slamming it shut.

I frowned. I never slammed any of my cars.

My phone suddenly rang, and I quickly attended to it seeing the ID. "Thanks for having my back again, Nicco."