Chapter XVII

Grimmauld Place was quiet at breakfast

Grimmauld Place was quiet at breakfast. The Weasleys, Sirius, Remus and a few order members loitered around the kitchen chatting. It was an ordinary morning for most of the members present except the normal duo. 

Harry trudged down the stairs before stacking a pancake and some bacon on a plate and turning to head up the staircase. 

"Harry, dear, you've been told that you're only allowed to eat breakfast at the table" Molly chastised. 

"It's not for me, It's for mum" Harry spoke before continuing up the stairs. Sirius's attention peaked at the name of the enigmatic woman. He watched as Harry walked up the stairs before returning his attention to the people in front of him. Not really paying attention. 

Harry knocked on the door lightly before opening it to reveal Emery laying, staring at the ceiling with a blank look. He wished he didn't understand what was going on but this happened every year, on the exact same date. He never knew the reason for the day but it had been a tradition. 3 days after Christmas, Emery would lock herself in a room and sit there the whole day either staring blankly or sobbing but would be her normal self the next day. The day was never discussed because it was a sensitive topic for both of them, Emery for personal reasons and Harry for seeing his mom that way. 

Emery hated this day but living a life like hers allocated the need for it. It was the one day she allowed herself to break apart, to slowly acknowledge the pain and hurt. It was the one day she was allowed to feel all the past hurt and suffering. 

"Mum?" Harry spoke quietly. The atmosphere was dark and gloomy, yet his voice always brought more than enough happiness. 

"Hey baby," Emery croaked out. Her throat was dry and she could feel a headache coming on. 

"I brought you some breakfast and a Panadol." He gestured at the food and small pill. Emery smiled gratefully before grabbing the pill and downing it with a sip of water. The two remained in silence before Harry broke it. 

"Do you want company?" He questioned. He didn't want his mother to go through this alone, so every year he asked the same question but always received the same answer. 

"I'm just fine my love," she whispered closing her eyes in short bliss. Harry hesitated before walking out the door and shutting it gently. He ventured down the hall to stop before his godfather. 

"Is she alright?" he asked, concern laced in his voice. 

"Yeah, she will be" Harry muttered before continuing on. 

Sirius stopped to glance at her door. Harry had obviously come out of the room disheartened and was clearly not in the best of moods. Sirius really did care for Emery in ways he never thought he would be able to, she was there for him when he was vulnerable so he was more than willing to do the same. Not out of obligation. 

Knocking on the door, he pushed it open to hear the shower running. He was about to turn away when he noticed light sobbing come from the bathroom. He slowly tapped the door hearing a few thumps before a small come in was heard.

Upon opening the door he came across Emery seated in the tub in soaking wet clothes. The white t-shirt stuck to her body outlining her figure. He glanced at her face to see tears cascading down her blotchy face. 

He sat down next to the tub and watched as she shrank further into the tub, almost embarrassed. They sat in silence, two souls forever shattered slowly mending. 

"Wanna talk about it?" he whispered into the silence. 

She shook her head slightly indicating her response. 

"Tell me about them" he soothed softly. It was almost ironic. This exact same conversation had occurred when she had comforted him. It made her smile slightly. 

"He was, well he was my brother you know? Not biologically but still a brother nonetheless. He cared for me more than he should have and he made sure I never felt as if I was any lower than him. I admired him, I looked up to him in a way." she reminisced. 

"He sounds really nice" Sirius cooed.

"He was," she murmured into the silence. 

Tears emerged in her eyes, trailing down the surface of her face. He glanced at her before offering his hand towards her, which she clutched. He hated seeing her so vulnerable. Emery was always a happy person, either giggling or causing mayhem. It was a complete turn in emotions and it upset him to see her in such a condition. 

"There's more isn't there?" he questioned quietly when her tears came trailing down her face steadily. She let out a broken sob. 

"When I went to school, he was like a father figure. He took my under his wing and taught me everything I needed to know. He knew everything about me and never judged, he never felt the need to hide anything from me. He was the closest thing to a father I ever had." she sniffled. 

"He must have been nice," he spoke softly. She sighed softly nodding her head at his words. She glanced at him with a new light. She had a new found respect for the man and clrealy did enjoy his presence. He made sure that everyone around his happy and satisfied with their stay and never made anyone uncomfortable without reason. 

After a while, she stood up and Sirius handed her a towel before heading out and grabbing some random sweats he found lying on her bed. He left the room to give her some space before walking down to see Harry socialising with the Weasleys. 

Upon seeing Sirius, he nodded his head in thanks. This day had always been hard because they both knew Emery hated Harry seeing her upset. He was glad that Sirius had gotten through to her and she was able to hand of some of her pain to someone else. 

"How is she," he asked when they were alone. 

"She's alright." He murmured staring at her room door before glancing at Harry curiously.

"Do you know why she's upset" Sirius asked. 

"No, it happens every year. She stays in her room and the next day it's all forgotten." he explained. 

Sirius furrowed his eyebrows in confusion before turning to stare at the hallway again. He saw Emery peak her head out sighing softly before turning to look at the forbidden corridor. She looked tempted to go there bust hesitantly stopped before entering her room again. 

Sirius was confused. She shouldn't need to access that corridor unless it was vital and there was nothing in there that should be of her interest. The corridor belonged to his elders, it was a black tradition. They kept the rooms of their elders like a museum for future generation of Blacks to walk past and learn. Well, not really learn. It was more to show them how they need to behave and what they're expected to become. 

Sirius remembered his first time seeing his grandfathers room. It was so clean he thought the man had house elves only for that purpose. He hated the room with a burning passion, the bleary black walls and the tasteless symbolism of a pure black. That was when he made the vow to be different.

Glancing back at the forbidden corridor he held in a shudder. He glanced back at Emery to make sure she was not going down the hall to see her door still shut. He'd be lying if he said he wasn't intrigued to why she was glancing down that hallway. Maybe he was overdoing it, she must have just glanced down in curiosity. 

But he couldn't deny the overwhelming feeling that coursed through his body. 

Emery definitely knew more than she let on.

More than she should.