||36||

I shut down for the day and pack up to leave the office. Wendy is already heading out and I say goodbye as I do the same.

The drive home is peaceful; normal traffic flow and good music to keep me going. James' message still rings at the back of my mind, I haven't responded to it because what the hell would he want to talk about that wouldn't end up in drama.

I pull up to my house and unwind, getting ready for the days ahead. I've been spending more time at Kenya's and meeting her family and Adrian's a well, it's been refreshing.

I won't be going today because a girl needs to rest; the gym sessions are great but I just need to have a second resting day a sister can only take so much.
My phone rings while I lay on the couch and it's Noni. I smile and bring the phone to my ear.

"Hey," I greet her.
"Hey," she sighs.
"Is everything okay?" I scowl.
"Mum is going to visit her family tomorrow,"
"By herself?"
"Seems like it. Well- Aunty Sama is going with her but I mean, dad hasn't objected to it so..."
"What is going on?" I drawl, resting my elbows on my knees and covering my face.

She gives a deep sigh, "It's beyond us at this point. I really don't know why she can't just talk this through because I've been a mediator for so long this one is just alot to take in,"
"It's okay, Noni. You're doing the best you can," I reassure her.
"How are you doing though?"
"I'm trying to stay positive with all that's happening," I admit. She doesn't know about Christian but we're not going to go there.
"That's good,"
"Kenya's bridal shower is coming up and her wedding too so it's something to be happy about,"
"Say hi to her for me. Last I saw her was at your graduation, I'm not proud," we laugh at her statement.
"Your ass better get her a gift," I add.
"I'll think about it," she chimes in.
"You better," I warn her.
"Well, Gareth is on his way back with Gabe. They went out for a fun day, just a distraction from what's currently going on. I'm honestly glad he's able to work from home and he has no emergencies because I don't know what would have happened if he had to juggle between me being here and him being far away with all that's happening, you know? Like who would take care of Gabe while one is wrestling work and the other family issues,"
"It's good that you're working through this together," I smile to myself. Its a relief knowing that they're not at loggerheads with who will take Gabe away from the chaos and the mere fact that there is chaos.
I wish the same for the way Christian and I handle our problems. It's like everything around me has to circle back to our relationship. I can only wonder how he's doing wherever he is and for now just focus on myself and do what makes me happy.

The call with Noni ends and I decide to take a shower. My hair is still in cornrows, which is still manageable considering the time it'd take to fix my hair for work.
My evening is a quiet and boring one, and I head to bed earlier than normal.

It's the next day, business as usual. I have an appointment with Mr Logan later in the day and I will be going with Pete this time, only because he's been helping me out.
My desk isn't as full but I still push to be done by lunchtime. Once that is accomplished, I get ready to go to Logan square.

"Hey," I look up at my office door as Pete walks in.
"Hi," I grab my bag and smoothen my dress.
"You ready to go?" He asks softly.
"I was expecting you to have gone already actually," I respond.
"I wanted to wait for you I was hoping we'd go in one car," he clears his throat.
"Pete, I can drive myself there,"
"Carpooling is being encouraged in this city, Imani. Our subordinates? They have been carpooling and going green. Mrs Wilson, head of the marketing department? Carpooling too, and she owns an AMG,"
"Thank you for enlightening me, Pete," I tap his shoulder on my way out.
"Are we still going together?" His voice echoes through the corridors.
"Fine," I sigh.

We make it to the basement parking and he opens the passenger door for me, to which I thank him.

The drive was fairly good. Pete has changed for the better, no condescending or inappropriate vibes whatsoever. I believe he now understands where we stand and respects it...or so I hope.