||18||

"Wendy, coffee," I stop at my desk and find a note on the desk, red glitter decorating it.

"Happy Valentine's," I turn to find my coffee- and a rose, extended to me.
"Since when do you celebrate Valentine's, Wendy ?" I smirk, receiving the tray as well as the rose.

"I don't, but I figured it'd be a good gesture to get a rose for my boss," she follows me to my desk, all smiles.
"Uh-huh, well thank you. It's very kind of you to... show enthusiasm in the form of a rose," I play with the stem in one hand.

"I'll get back to work now," Wendy giggles before turning her heel to leave.

My phone buzzes on my desk and I know it's my mother, or Noni. One of the two have to be the ones disturbing me on such a day as this, that I know.

"Ima,"
Just as I suspected.
"Yes, mama,"
"I sent you photos of my dress, your father took the pictures and I'll be at Palm Trees Hotel this evening for Valentimes,"
"Valentine's, mama," I correct her again.
"Whatever it's called, as long as I'm spending it with your father,"

Right.

"And Noni is going out with Gareth. See the importance of marriage on such days, Ima?" here we go again with the marriage lecture.

For goodness sake nobody celebrated this when I was younger! Why the heck does it matter now?!

"I'll be fine, pass," I respond calmly.
"No, you need to find someone from here who will celebrate with you, someone like James,"

If only she knew...

"He probably has someone to spend it with. Mama, can I call you back I have a call to pick," I end the call just as the office phone rang.

"Yes?"
"Mr Logan is on the line,"
"Alright, put him through,"

"Ms Yané,"
"Sir Logan!"I cheer.
"You have to be at the building site in the afternoon, just to check it out, the usual. Oh, Mr Greear informed me that he'd be there as well, I won't be able to make it due to some constraints. After all, it is Valentine's," his laughter through the phone is just weirdly ... I'll reserve my comment.

"No problem then, I'll head there before lunchtime if it makes you happy?"
"The earlier the better, just to view the progress and give me a bit of feedback,"

"No problem," I nod and drop the phone once our conversation ends.

-

"Girl, Martin and I are going to some fancy Portuguese restaurant," Hannah squeals over the phone in our conference call.
"And Adrian wants us to head to some underground Chinese food palace," Kenya laughs.
"Chinese food, how wonderful," I laugh and make a turn into Logan Square.

"So,how are you spending your Valentine's, Imani?" Kenya slurs into the phone.
"Y'all know I don't do Valentine's," I scoff.

Plus, Christian hasn't said anything. No biggie, this relationship has just started, we can't get carried away with it and start spending on each other in the name of Valentine's.

"Oh, please!" The girls blurt in unison.
"Look, I gotta go. I'm checking on some building site so we'll all talk tomorrow after Valentine's,ok?"

I step out of my car and to the site, spotting Christian immediately in a worksuit and protective gear. His hair is tied to the back, his head lowered to view a paper as he glanced at the man next to him explaining what was on the sheet of paper.

"Hey," I fold my arms and smile at the worker next to him.
"Ms Yané," Christian sure knows how to keep things professional.