0.6 » surfer boy?

Luke and Kaity had run along the beach for a few minutes until they came across a small group of surfers. Luke slowed, letting go of Kaity’s hand as they approached. Kaity noticed that there were only two or three surfers, all waxing their boards down.

“Ashton!” Luke exclaimed, his voice coming out deep and loud.

One of the surfers with shaggy brown hair looked up at the sound of his name. Kaity instantly recognized him as the other lifeguard from the pool.

“Luke, you made it!” He smiled, leaving his board to give Luke a short hug. “Who’s your friend?” He asked, his hazel eyes falling onto Kaity. She dug her toes into the sand they were standing on. Did all surfers have to be so attractive?

Luke grinned, stabbing his board into the sand and leaning onto it. “This is Kaity,” he said. “The girl we saw jump off the cliff last week.” It hadn’t occurred to Kaity that maybe Luke wasn’t alone the day he saved her.

“Oh,” Ashton said, smiling at the both of them. “I remember you telling me how you saved her,” he said. “You’re all right now?” He asked, directing his question towards her with raised eyebrows.

Kaity nodded, “yes, thanks to Luke, that is.” She smiled up to the blonde beside her, catching his eyes as he smirked back at her. But she smiled even wider when she realized that Luke had been talking about her.

“Anyway,” Ashton said, stooping back down to grab a piece of wax and throw it at Luke. “Are you going to keep talking or are we gonna surf?” He asked.

Luke easily caught the wax and nodded. He removed his board from the sand to, in turn, lay it down on the ground to start waxing it. Kaity sat down beside him, watching as he worked the wax over the smooth surface.

Kaity let her mind wander as she watched him and his friend, Ashton, prepare their boards to surf. She adverted her gaze out to the waves, watching as other surfers were already out on the ocean. They glided over the water easily.

“What does surfing feel like?” Kaity suddenly asked, the question popping into her mind.

Luke looked at her as he continued to wax his board. “It feels...” he said, trying to find the right words to tell her. “Like you’re on the top of the world, like you’re flying and nothing can bring you down. You feel powerful, the waves surging beneath you.”

Kaity breathed in sharply. The way he worded it was breathtaking. She wanted to feel the way he described, but she knew she was long from doing that.

“Wow,” she gasped. She couldn’t find any other words that perfectly defined how she felt.

Luke smirked at her, but turned back to his board. Five minutes later, both Luke and Ashton were satisfied with their surfboards and decided to get into the water.

“You’ll be alright, here?” Luke asked as he fastened his ankle leash on and stood. Kaity nodded, glancing up at him. Ashton was already running towards the ocean, calling Luke’s name as he went. Luke looked over his shoulder at him, and then back to the girl sitting below him. “Tell me if you like what you see.”