0.8 » treading water

Two days later, Luke texted Kaity asking if she was free later that day, seeing as it was his day off and he would be able to give her the second swimming lesson he promised. Kaity, of course, agreed to meet him at the pool within the hour.

She quickly dressed in her bikini, throwing on a plain V-neck and denim shorts over top. Once she was dressed, she grabbed her car keys and was on her way to the pool.

Kaity arrived twenty minutes later, her stomach fluttering when she saw Luke waiting by the gates. He, again, was shirtless and in a pair of board shorts. But instead of the red lifeguarding shorts he usually wore, these were blue and green – almost tie-dye looking.

She pulled into the spot open next to his truck and got out. “Hey,” he smiled, approaching her. “Ready for round two?” He asked as they made their way past the gates.

“Um,” Kaity drawled hesitantly. “Not really, but I knew you really wouldn’t let me out of it,” she laughed as did Luke.

“You’re right about that,” he told her. He led them back into the employee locker room and let her strip out of her street clothes. She threw her shirt and shorts into Luke’s locker and let down her long, curly hair.

“Did you do something different to your hair?” He asked, cocking his head to the side. Kaity nodded and fanned out her hair on her shoulder, showing more of the red steak in her hair. “Wow. I like it,” he grinned, plucking at some of the crimson strands.

Kaity blushed, mentally cursing Michael. They had bet five dollars on whether Luke was going to like it or not, and Kaity had lost. She bet that Luke wouldn’t notice and Michael bet that he would notice, and he would like it.

“Thanks,” Kaity grinned, crossing her arms over her chest awkwardly.

“You’re welcome,” he returned. “Go on out awhile, I just have to take my lip ring out and grab something quick. I’ll be there super quick,” Luke continued.

Kaity nodded and headed out of the locker room towards the pool. Like before, the lifeguard on duty was Ashton, his hazel eyes scanning the water behind his dark sunglasses. He spotted Kaity and waved slightly before directing his attention back to the swimmers.

The pool wasn’t too crowded today. It was a Tuesday afternoon so Kaity really wasn’t expecting it to be full. She took a seat on the edge of a lounge chair as she waited for Luke to return.

Minutes later, Luke walked up to her chair, dropping the white towels over the back of it, grabbing Kaity’s attention.

“Okay, Champ. I got you something,” he grinned, his smile piercing-less.

But his bare mouth didn’t keep her interest for long. What caught her eye was Luke holding both of his hands behind his back as if he were hiding something from her.

“What is it?” She asked, standing up from the lounge chair. She was slightly nervous as to what was hidden behind his back.