Growing Up

We sat outside the greenhouse together and talked about various things. My updated training, Fell's transition and Allister's progress were all discussed topics. Fellorte bade us farewell when the bell rang to get to her class. Allister and I had a free period, so we stayed there on the grass. I stretched, laying down to bathe in the sun.

"Vari, I must ask you something." Allister muted once Fell was out of earshot. He must have noticed my ears pricking because he continued.

"We are young boys. Is it not common to have strange thoughts about others?" He asked, scrambling to my side. I opened my eyes and squinted at him.

"Strange thoughts, how?" I muttered, shielding my eyes from the sun.

"You know... the taboo kind. Don't you look at people like Fell or even Madam Blue and see yourself..." he trailed off.

"You can have as many of those thoughts as you like; just, please keep me out of it. I am not interested in anything of the sort." I explained.

"What? Is it because your dear old father raped you?" He asked, sending a shock through my body that forced me to sit up and stare at him in disbelief. It took me a moment to formulate my thoughts before I could respond.

"Allister, what on Gaia are you talking about?! All he did was beat me and insult me." I growled at him. He cocked his head to the side with a suspicious gaze and leaned in closer with that same stare. The discomfort made me lean back.

"Are you sure? You seem awfully repulsed at even the mention of sexual behaviour. Are you sure there's nothing wrong with you? You know, other than your inherently disturbed mind. I've heard what you say in your dreams. He did rape you, didn't he?" Allister gave me a smug smile as if he'd caught me red-handed. I gave him the most repulsed look I could muster.

"What in all the nine realms is wrong with you?! Gornath did nothing of the sort to me, and you have no right to assume anything more than what I've told you!" I yelled at him and shoved him aside. I hated that intentionally sultry look in his eyes. He was taunting me.

"Well, maybe if you spent some time realising how much of these instincts make us Gaian, you'd have a better time bonding with others." He spat.

"Maybe if the notion of sex didn't so consume you, you'd make progress in your studies," I growled back at him and got up to retreat into the greenhouse.

Naturally, Allister followed me.

"You're going to pull that card now?! Look, Vari, I am so happy about your progress, but you understand that I am afraid of never climbing this ladder, right?! You can't just say things like that!" He yelped, an overdramatic yet authentic cry in his voice. He only ever got like this when he got really upset.

"How do you think I feel, Allister? Please leave me be. I don't want to lash out at you." I said softly.

"Well, judging by your expression, I'd say that didn't affect you! You could be at least a little more expressive!" He said. I narrowed my eyes at him in a glare I'd only ever given one person before.

"Allister Frall. You have overstepped my boundaries and made me uncomfortable, yet you continue to dig deeper into my weaknesses. If you wish to continue this friendship, I would strongly recommend leaving this greenhouse right now." I said with a much more intimidating rumble in my voice than I was expecting. His eyes widened for the first time, maybe only just realising what he had been saying, and he nodded his head and left me in that softly humid building alone for the next hour. I didn't see Fell or Allister for the rest of the day until I went back to my quarters to find Fellorte sitting in the armchair beside the bed.