Escape

I slinked through the halls, hands trembling. I couldn't decide whether the emotion I was feeling was pure rage or fear, but I disregarded the notion of fear. The streaks of pain lacing my wrists made sure to annihilate my fear.

It wasn't like anything I'd ever felt before. I glanced out the window, noting the lack of moonlight, yet I could see so clearly. The new yellow in my eyes had given me a new perspective. While bright lights nearly blinded me, my vision in the dark had become totally clear. I locked my fingers around the handle and pulled it down as slowly as possible, knowing that it started to squeak once the hinges moved. I made sure to move as smoothly and as gently as possible. Master Faric was a particularly heavy sleeper, but I didn't want to risk anything had he not yet been sleeping. I doubted that, though. It was nearly 2 in the morning. I remember staring at him as I entered, not once taking my eyes off him. I shut the door in a silent swing automatically. It was something I'd subconsciously practised ever since I was a young child.

Once the door slipped into place, I laid my eyes on his nightstand and the unique blade that was cradled within its display. Master's old focus. Would it be fitting, I thought, to take his life with his very own focus? It was fitting enough for me. Every bit of power had been drained from it. It was as average a knife as it could have been with that appearance. I picked it up by its ethereal handle and observed the glisten in its white blade. I couldn't hold back the malice when my gaze met his face. I couldn't quell the resentment. Despite my immense progress in anything other than light, this man had held me back. This man had allowed those weaker than me to climb to the ranks above. I was stuck and trapped because of him. I hated him.

With that thought, the blade plunged into his throat, and I ducked down out of his view once his frantic, horrified eyes ripped themselves open. He took hold of the blade but didn't pull it out. I heard his mortified grating moan go on for far too long. The despair and the will to live drained from him until silence was all that filled the room. Slowly, I retreated from my hiding spot and met his empty gaze. His head had fallen to stare directly at me.

"I love you as my son... Dark..." were his last whispers before his eyes drained of their colour. I took his hand and pressed it against my forehead. My Master, My Mentor, oh how I resented you so much before that exact moment. Nothing but the purest of regret filled my body, and I parted from him before slipping his medallion off his nightstand and concealing it on my person. With a sluggish hurry, I made my way through the halls and to my quarters, where I found Allister.

"Did you leave the note?" He asked, and I pointed to the folded paper beside him.

"Your job. I'm leaving. Goodbye, brother." I told him and shoved it into his hands while pushing him out of the room. He didn't protest for once and allowed me to shut the door in his face.

What followed was a strange numbness and a deep, merciless sadness.

Why did I feel like I needed to escape every time someone died by my hand? The feeling this time was entirely engulfing. I physically couldn't stay here. It repelled me like a powerful spell I'd never heard of and made me move in a janky, shaky manner before I could grasp my actions and pack my items. My focus, books, and a few pairs of clothes were stuffed into a satchel, which I slung around my shoulder before I took off running out of the Academy. Before fleeing into the forest, I took one last look back at the gates.

I ventured towards the mountains for days, neglecting my need to eat. I already knew Element, so I could create water whenever I needed it, which superficially satisfied my appetite. I was so happy that I am a Wood Osrocan. We store more nutrients and can last longer without food than other Osrocan. Had I been a High Osrocan, I would have starved within a week.

The next few days were spent ducking through the forest underbrush, coming across a gravel path. I followed it for hours, coming across a little market. It was incredibly stupid of me not to bring any money. As I walked through the little market, I spotted a bookstall. Maybe it would be worth it if I sold one or two of mine.

I walked up to the stall and noticed an entirely androgynous Wood Osrocan placing books on shelves behind them.

"Ehm... Good morning. Do you buy as well?" I asked, startling them out of a rhythm.

"Morning, friend! I do buy! If you're wondering what you can call me, the name's Tanner. Good to meet ya!" They grinned at me and presented their hand for me to shake. They had short nails, all painted in different colours. I took Tanner's hand and shook it before placing my bag on their counter and rummaging around for any book I didn't need. I saw the butterfly book...

It took a while of deliberation to tell Tanner that I wanted to sell it to them. That and a small bestiary got me 500 Geid and, surprisingly, a nicely sized roll of bread from under their counter. While I no longer had my books, I had food and money. That should be enough to get by, I thought.

"You look really hungry, my man. I've got some more, don't worry. Where ya heading?" They asked.

"Uhm... thank you! I didn't realise it was that obvious. I honestly don't know where I'm off to. The mountains, I suppose." I explained.

"Alright, listen up. High Osrocan are as pretentious as the Beneath, so rather stick to this path until you find a dirt branch in it, take that, and you'll find yourself at the entrance to the Deepshrouds. Tell the guards you're looking to do business. Spew some crap about Teylar the Tense, and you'll be fine. Those books you got are mighty valuable, and once you're down there, find Grenther. She's a bartender at the local tavern, The Graceful Goose. She'll give you good shit if you tell her I sent ya. Oh, and can ya tell her I love her? I haven't seen her in a while. She's my partner. Good luck, little bud. What's your name?"

"Varitran Hue. And thank you again. You truly are a wonderful person, Tanner. I'll be sure to give Grenther a greeting from you."