New Generation

"You have a child? Are you not but a child yourself?" I blurted out. She chuckled at me, rising up the stairs with a different stride. I hesitantly followed her and slowly made my way over to peek into the crib to find a soft and fat face with bright brown eyes staring at me. Immediately, I softened and smiled at the baby.

"Hello, you soft little gumdrop! Oh, how I'd love to cradle your tiny, helpless, little form!" I yelped and presented my knuckle, ensuring he couldn't get to my claws. I gasped and looked up at Decoda.

"Can I hold him?" I breathed with a half-smile. She nodded, made an excited little sound, and turned back to the tiny being wrapping his doughy hand around my finger.

I slung an arm around him and lifted him gently. He babbled and cooed, and I teared up.

"He's adorable..." was all I could say as I held the happy blob. After a bit of emotional overwhelm, I was shaken from my state by a deep, shaky breath from Decoda. I looked back at her to find her face tainted with worry for only a glance. She glanced at the baby, then at me and smiled something of a solemn curve.

"His name is Volkmar," she said softly and took him from me. I withheld my question and watched her place him back into his crib.

"Will you come with me to help Anthony's Husband?" she asked suddenly as if she wanted to step away from the subject of her child for a moment. I gave her a determined smile, and she donned a bag, giving me a similar smile in return.

We travelled through the town and into a portal that transported us to the Benethean Castle, which reeked of a freshly extinguished fire. The corridors were unlike anything I'd ever seen, and Decoda had gained a quick stride, a royal gait accompanying it.

A cold shudder ran down my spine when I first saw that man. I'd never seen anyone in a worse state. He had all sorts of magical tendrils feeding into his skin, and a barrier was cast around him, though the magikas felt strong and deliberate. I couldn't pinpoint it, but somehow it felt familiar. This magic clearly dominates anything else I've ever felt.

Under all of the magic, the man seemed frail, nearly skin and bones. He looked close to death. I placed my hands on the golden barrier, feeling the surge of power pulse through me, and then I added my own.

The barrier shuddered and rippled with my magic. It seemed to help a bit as I watched the man's chest rise higher than it had been. Though I was adding as much as I could, that sheer power took precedence over mine and drained me. I had to submit and retract my magic, though it did seem to help him. That's when a Craggish man, one with snow-white, flakey skin, shooed us out of the chamber.

"I will help him, Decoda. I promise you that," I told her, taking her hand and giving it a reassuring squeeze. It eased her burdened gaze.