Chapter 18- Surprises- Part Two

"Why the hell are we not going to the hospital?" I yell as Nessa gets closer to my parents' house.

"Lyn, calm down it's not-" she begins. But I'm​ not hearing any of it.

"Dammit, Nessa give me my phone!"

"No! You are going to calm the hell down right now. Whatever is going on with your mom won't be helped by you freaking out so chill!"

I huff and fold my arms. I don't say anything more because I know she's​ right. We pull up in my parents' driveway and I practically bolted up to the front door. "Dad?" There's no answer. "Daddy are you here? Mom?" I turn to Nessa. "See, hospital. They're not-"

"Did you hear that?" Nessa asks. I nod. It sounds like footsteps. "Don't you have a key?"

"Crap! I completely forgot." I run back to the car and got my set of keys from my purse. I open the door and go inside, Vanessa right behind me. The house is so dark I almost can't make out where I'm​ going. I call for Dad again.

"Lyn, is that you?" His voice is coming from the living room. I run towards that direction.

"Where's Mom, is she-"

"Happy birthday, Evelyn!" I'm greeted by a group of family and friends, some strange faces and an almost blinding light. I stare at them shell-shocked. I don't know if I should be angry or happy that my mother is standing right there in front of me in perfect health.

"Evelyn, honey?" She asks, coming over to me.

I hadn't noticed I'm crying until she runs her thumb across my cheeks to remove the tear tracks. "Oh, Mom," I sob, hugging her tightly. "That was the worst surprise ever." I laugh lightly through my tears.

"I'm sorry, sweetie. If it helps it was all your dad's idea."

"Sorry baby girl. But even I was getting bored of her annual 'surprise'," Dad says laughing. Everyone joins in except Mom who slaps​ his shoulder.

"Thanks guys but my birthday isn't until tomorrow," I say loudly.

"That's why it's a surprise, Evelyn." I look around for that all too familiar voice.

"Nick?"

"Happy birthday, love." He walks over to me and I engulf him in a warm hug.

"Do I get a hug too?" Lee asks from beside Nessa. I smile at him and give him a big hug too. "Happy birthday, Lyn."

The party kicks off as Nessa drags me to the bathroom to fix my ruined make up.

I greet everyone at the party. Which is a lot of people. I had no idea I knew this many people. From distant relatives, to childhood friends, to co-workers, to family friends, they are all here.

"Lyn, you remember my cousin, Linda and her friend, Ariel," Nessa says, as she walks over with them to where I'm standing in the living room.

"How can I forget. They did help me handle you when you were too drunk to know your name." We laugh as Nessa glares at me.

"Happy birthday, Lyn. You look great by the way," Ariel says.

"Thank you. You look great too," I say, admiring how easily she could pull off such a nice dress with her baby bump.

She waves me off. "Ariel thinks she looks like a pumpkin," Linda says with a laugh.

"I do. If I looked that great, my baby's daddy would be around more." She rolls her eyes.

"Well he has no idea what he's missing. You make sure to tell him that." I smile at her.

We chat a little then we move to the makeshift dance floor where my parents are showing off their seventies moves. It would've been embarrassing if everyone wasn't used to them and their antics. They are such children sometimes. I can't help but smile at them.