Chapter 19 - This Can't Be Real

"What are you doing here?" My mother asks, descending the stairs.

"Uhm...he was just leaving, Mom." Her eyes flicker to me then to Nick then Marcel and back to me. She raises an eyebrow. "Everything's fine. You can go back to bed."

Shaking her head, she continues down the stairs. "Nick, darling." I roll my eyes. My mother could be a real piece of work. "Are you alright? Were you sleeping okay?"

"Yes, ma'am," is his polite reply.

"Oh, stop it. How many times do I have to tell you? It's Maria." She smiles.

I notice Marcel flinches. My mother never allowed him to call her anything besides Mrs. Brady. I decide to step in. "Mom, that's enough. Marcel, thanks for stopping by. I appreciate it."

With a small smile he nods and leaves. I shake my head at Nick and Maria and go back upstairs. Sometimes she could be so unbelievable. Why does she love Nick so much?

Or is she just trying to hurt Marcel's feelings. But if that's the case then why? He's never done anything but try to earn her and my dad's respect since the moment they met. Why Nick? Is it the money? I know my mother isn't a shallow person so that can't be it.

I just don't get it.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

I wake up to the bright rays of light that are streaming through the windows of my childhood bedroom. My head feels a bit heavy but I ignore it and focus on the fact that it's my birthday. I'm​ officially twenty-three years old. Not to mention that the party last night was amazing. I was surrounded by people who I loved and people who loved me. I plaster a smile on my face and get up to start my day.

"Good morning, baby girl. Happy birthday!" My dad greets as I entered the kitchen. Mom is busy making breakfast and since it's my birthday she is not to be disturbed as she prepares my favourites. I smile in reply and ask where everyone is.

"Well I'm here," Nessa answers, entering the kitchen. She takes a seat on the stool next to me around the kitchen island. "As for my cousin and Ariel, they went for a check up at Dr. van Hale, Lee had a few sessions at the studio-"

"Hold up. Her doctor is Nick's dad? I didn't know he was a baby doctor," I interrupt.

"He's not. His wife is. Well sort of. She was but now she still accepts one or two clients," Dad answers.

Oh. I nod thoughtfully. "So where's Nick?"

"You didn't give me a chance to get to that. He said he had some business to do today but said I should tell you that if you need him for anything, anything at all, he's just a phone call away." Nessa finishes with a wink.

That catches my mother's attention. Of course. "Oh he's a darling isn't he?"

"Good morning to you too, Mom," I mutter.

"Oh hush up and eat. We have a long day ahead of us," she says as she placed my breakfast before me. It looks and smells absolutely delicious and I can just see the jealousy radiating off of Nessa and my dad.

I laugh as Mom smacks away both of their hands when they try to steal some and then she goes ahead to make theirs.

When my mother said I had a long day ahead of me she wasn't kidding. She insisted upon a four hour shopping spree, a spa treatment, a hairstylist and a tour of the town, including a stop at Granville van Hale Hospital. I tried telling her that Nick had already showed me around and I admit that a lot has changed but she is a determined woman. It's​ like she wants me to see how much she loved it here and how she hoped I liked it enough to come around more often.