Chapter 14 - Unexpected Turn of Events

Nessa wakes up with her hair in a tangled mess, swearing at me to close the curtains I just opened. I don't close them however, instead I walk over to her bed and pull the covers off of her. This earns me a few more choice words and a few pillows to the face.

"Nessa, get up," I say gently.

"Okay, okay. You don't have to yell," She mutters. She's​ obviously hungover.

Rolling my eyes, I hand her the glass of water and the Advil I had placed on her nightstand. "Thanks. Now close the curtains and get out."

"You see, I would do just that if it weren't two in the afternoon and your boyfriend hadn't called to say he's​ coming over." At that, her eyes widen and she bolts out of bed into her bathroom.

No cure for hangovers like that line, I think, smiling to myself.

It takes her until after she showered, brushed her teeth, got fully dressed and did her hair to realize that I lied to her.

"Lyn, you.....you...ugh!" She stutters. I can't help but double over in laughter as she comes downstairs fuming. After a few minutes of me laughing I notice she's staring at me, smiling. I sober up, knowing where this is going.

"I haven't seen you laugh like that in weeks." I sigh. Seeing my discomfort she changes the topic. "So tell me, how drunk did I get last night? My head is killing me."

"I'm not sure. How drunk would you call someone who drunk dialed their boyfriend at one in the morning singing Celine Dion songs, danced on the bar top for a good fifteen minutes, kissed one of the bouncers- who was really cute by the way, swore at an old woman for a taxi-"

"Stop!" She exclaims. Her eyes are wide. "Oh my gosh! Lyn, why didn't you stop me, take me home?"

"I did."

"I meant before I did all of that. From the moment you saw how drunk I was," she whines, plopping down in her cream colored couch next to me. "I kissed a guy. A guy that's not my boyfriend."

"It's not like he hasn't kissed women who weren't his..." I trail off when I see the death glare she's giving me. "Sorry. It was on his cheek, though. I wouldn't let you do that."

We spend the next few minutes talking about last night including my little chat- if you could call it that-with Nick, then we decide to go shopping.

"Wait. You said we took a taxi to get home," she says, looking at her car in the driveway.

"We did. Neither of us were in any state to drive. Nick had it sent over shortly after." I shrug. At the mention of Nick's name she opens her mouth to say something but then decides against it.

Good. I really don't want to hear thoughts on the subject.

By the time we get to the mall it's already three o'clock. Nessa drags me in every shoes and clothes store she can find and do not doubt that there are a lot of those at the mall.

We go into a store called 'Fashion Express' where Nessa buys two pairs of pumps, another store called 'The heart of Jewels' where she buys necklace and about half a dozen pairs of earrings and so many clothing stores where she tries on what seems to me about a hundred dresses, pants and tops. It is absolutely ridiculous but I'm used to this after being best friends with Vanessa for years now.

"Can we at least stop and get something to eat? Honestly, are you even human when you're surrounded by clothes?" I complain as we walk out of a store on the fourth floor. Our hands are full of shopping bags. Nessa could hardly carry hers so I offered to help her with her load.