Chapter 27- Choices

Marcel

Disappointment.

That's what it was. That look in her eyes last night when the guards were pulling me away from the van Hales. From her.

But do I regret it? I think about the person who took my parents from me everyday. I think about what I'd do if I ever met that person. I'd make him pay. But when the moment came- so unexpectedly- thinking was the last thing I did.

And truth be told, I don't think I regret it.

I hate the man even more knowing that his son is playing Evelyn's white knight. How is it that the son of a bitch managed to take everything I love away from me?

"Are you listening to a word I'm saying?"

"Yeah man. I heard you," I lie. Truth is the minute Lee walked through that door I knew I was about to be lectured. But do I need to be lectured?

Absolutely not.

"No, you didn't. You haven't heard a word I've said. You're throwing your life away because you're angry. Rightyly so but-" A knock on the door interrupts him and I silently thanked whoever that is. He raises an eyebrow. "You expecting someone?"

"Nope. But should I go get the door or should I let you finish your lecture?" I drawl.

He narrows his eyes at me and plop down next to me on my couch. "You're a pain in the ass, you know that?"

"Ah, but you love me, bro," I tease.

He doesn't even crack a smile. He shakes his head and turns on my tv. "Go get the door, asshole."

I pull myself up from my couch, dragging my feet to the door to tell whoever it is out there to go away. Entertaining guests is the last thing I want to do right now.

But try telling Lee that and see if he cares.

Knock, knock, knock.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" I yell. Who the hell could be at my door at this hour? Granted it was only after eight in the evening but still.

When I open the door, I see the last person I expect to see on my doorsteps again.

"Hi." She sounds nervous and a little breathless.

I stand there staring at her, taking in every inch of her beautiful face before reality slaps me in the face again and she disappears. But she doesn't disappear. She's still there standing at my door, looking everywhere but at me.

"Uhm, I..." she starts. "Can I come in?"

"Yeah. Sorry, come on in." I open the door wider and step aside so she could pass. She doesn't take her jacket off after I close the door and I take that as a sign to mean she isn't staying. I swear if she's here to tell me to stay out of her life for good, I wouldn't be able to take it.

Just remembering how she looked at me last night hurts. So why is she here? "Did you leave something here?" I ask. I know she did.

I have a few photographs of her hanging around in my bedroom, the quilt her grandmother embroidered for her before she passed, a couple vases she bought for her flowers, and so many more things. But I was hoping I could keep those. To feel like she was still living with me. Like she was still with me.

I know. Pathetic.

She's still avoiding my gaze. "I'm not sure," she whispers. "Did I?" She finally looks at me and my breath catches in my throat.

The look in her eyes, that look of disappointment, is gone. Replaced by something else entirely but I'm not sure what it is. At least, I did but I don't want to jump to any conclusions.