Chapter 21- Secret and Lies - Part Two

"Could you honestly look me in the eyes and tell me that you didn't know?" I yell at Vanessa over the phone. I know she can't look me in the eyes at the moment but she knows what I mean.

"Okay, I knew. I didn't at first but one night she was with my cousin and we were on the phone talking and she mentioned something about the father of Ariel's baby being a guy named Marcel. I told her to describe him to me and I put two and two together and....I knew," she admits. I don't bother asking her anymore questions I just hang up and turn my phone off.

I have no doubt in my mind that everyone else knew and decided to hide it from me. Or Vanessa told them to. Either way I must be the laughing stock back home.

Unbelievable.

Vanessa and I had been friends since or sophomore year in high school. We met at a library in Granville where we both went to school. I was doing some sort of homework there because my laptop was broken. It was getting late in the evening and the library was closing but I was nowhere finished.

I begged the librarian for extra time but she said she couldn't so I had to leave. I vaguely remember a familiar looking brown haired girl walking out of the library but I saw her again outside.

"Hey, is it that disgusting homework Mr. Adams gave us?" The girl asked. I suddenly remembered why she looked familiar. Mr Adams was my literature teacher and she was in my class.

"Yeah. Did you finish the paper?" I asked her.

"I wish. I was heading home to do that right now but..."

"What?"

"Do you want to borrow my laptop and finish yours? I came to the library for peace and quiet. Going home right now will just give me a headache, you know, parents arguing and whatnot. I could stay here with you so you can finish it." She offered.

I accepted of course because I could not afford a detention. So we sat there in the parking lot of the library talking and laughing until I finished my paper. We learned a lot about each other and after that night we were inseparable.

At this moment I feel like we're miles away from that inseparable place we used to be.

The woman was at my birthday party.

She slept in my bed.

And Vanessa knew it was her. The same woman Marcel cheated on me with and got her pregnant.

A knock on the door draws my attention. "Come in," I call.

"Hey there. How are you?" Nick asks as he makes his way into one of his many guestrooms. I'm​ still staying at his house. Somehow I feel comfortable here.

"I'm confused. I feel betrayed that my best friend was keeping this from me all along but I feel like it's no one's fault but my own. I should've been able to figure this out a long time ago." I was comfortable talking to Nick. He's a really good listener and that's all I need.

"How is it your fault?" He asks, cocking his head to the side.

"Have you ever felt like you suppress things because you don't want to face it?" He raises a brow so I continue. "You know, like the truth is there right in your face but you refuse to face it, to accept it, because you're so scared of what will happen if you do," I explain.

I guess I didn't want to know it was her. But I didn't want to believe Marcel was having a baby with another woman. Besides her baby bump looks a little bigger than three months so I can't be blamed for overlooking her, right?

"You want to know what I think?" I nod and he continues. "I think you've been sad for too long. And right now I am making a vow to make sure you're always happy as long as I can help it.

I know you still love him. I won't act like I don't know that. But you need to understand that this is it, Evelyn. He's having a baby with another woman. Do you want to be the person that stands between a man and his family? I say this with all due respect. It's over now. It'll always hurt. But it'll hurt less if you begin to accept it."

I go over his words in my head and I know he's right. It has been months now and I'm​ still moping around but he gets that no amount of time could heal this hole in my chest.

But I have to let go.

I force a smile. "So what do you say? Would you like to make an appearance at your club tonight?"

He touches my cheek lightly with the back of his hand. "I have a better idea."

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Two hours later I find myself dressed in a sweater with a pair of dark washed jeans and a brand new pair of sneakers. Nick's idea turns out to be camping in the middle of the night.

Okay, so maybe it's just a little after nine in the evening. We're at Pike Hills, a camping site that I knew nothing about before today. It's no surprise of course that the reason for that is because it's a private site.

Owned by none other than the van Hales.

"How are you holding up?" Nick asks ahead of me. He's leading the way so I know where to step. It's a bit of a climb to the top to get to the camp site and it's really rocky but he's holding onto my hand and I held back onto his for dear life as he led the way up the hills.

"I'm okay." I assure him. But his queries about my comfort and safety keep coming. "Hey, I'm a pro at this. I could even do this blindfolded," I joke.

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves here." He laughs. It's a beautiful laugh. One that washes over me and relaxes me.

"Hey, Nick?"

"Yes?" He stops walking and turns to look at me. Concern etched in his features. He must have sensed the change in my voice as I take on a more serious tone.

"Thank you," I begin. "It's not everyday I turn out to be great friends with a handsome millionaire that I hit with my car-"

"So you do that a lot? Hit millionaires with your car? Hmm. I am certain they aren't as handsome as I am though. But I really should look into taking you off the road," he interrupts jokingly.

I hit his shoulder playfully and continue. "What I'm trying to say is that I really appreciate everything you've done for me. Thank you for being there for my car even though she hit you pretty hard and thank you for this." I gesture around us. "For trying to make me feel better."

We stare at each other for a while before he breaks the silence and resumes walking. "Even if doing so involves climbing a hill in the wee hours of the evening and going camping? You're welcome."

I smile. A genuine smile. When I first met Nick he was an arrogant rich playboy. Now, it's like he's matured in the few weeks we've known each other. He's a good friend and quite the gentleman.

I decide to take his advice. Let go. Because it's not only the right thing to do, it's the only thing to do.

💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

A/N

What do you guys think about this rare friendship between Nick and Evelyn? Anyone thinks Vanessa was wrong by keeping everything from Evelyn?

Share your thoughts guys! Vote and comment!

Love

TT