Chapter 9- Something Nick van Hale Cannot Do?

I am in no position to drive for two hours. I'm a bit exhausted from the long day I had with Nick and I had hardly slept last night.

To top it all off my emotions are all over the place. I'm​ excited, sad, anxious, confused- so many things in one.

Most of these emotions are because of Marcel. I don't know how to feel seeing him again. I miss him but I keep remembering that he hurt me. I sigh. It doesn't feel right being mad at him. He's been trying to make things right ever since it happened and I was willing to forgive him. We took time off to fix things and then I saw that message. Was he telling the truth about not being in contact with that woman?

It starts to rain and if there's one thing I hate, it's​ driving in the rain. I press down on the gas in hopes of getting home faster but instead of going faster the car starts to slow down.

Wait....that's not suppose to happen. I'm not even out of gas. "Stupid car!" I growl, hitting the steering wheel and pulling over to the side of the road. I get out of the car and lift the hood to check out what the problem is. But of course that's a waste of time seeing as I have​ no idea what I'm​ looking for.

I take out my cell phone and dial my personal mechanic, Joey. "Hey, J. I sort of need your help. Something's wrong with my car."

"Sure, Lyn. Where are you? I could get one of the guys to come check it out. I'd do it myself but I'm really swamped." he replies.

"Uh, I'm on the outskirts of Granville," I say, meekly. The long drive is not something anyone likes.

"Damn, girl. I won't be able to get anyone out there for at least a couple of hours." This is understandable. J's mechanic shop is the best back home so he has a lot of customers. But why, out of all days did everybody's car decide to take the day-off today?

I sigh. "Okay. Thanks, anyways. I'll get someone to help." I hung up after he told me to let him know when I do get help. So what now? I ask myself. I can't walk back to my parents- especially not in this weather and I really don't want to call them. My mother will start telling me that it's a sign that I shouldn't go home. She isn't the superstitious type, she just isn't a fan of Marcel. Which is one of the reasons why I rarely visit.

Dragging my soaked body back into my car, I dial someone I think can help. He answers on the first ring. "Nick van Hale." His voice sounds much deeper over the phone.

"Hey, it's Evelyn. I need your help."

"Are you alright? Is something wrong?" He sounds genuinely worried. I tell him what happened and where I am and he says he'll be here in less than ten minutes. I secure the locks on the car and rest my head on the window, closing my eyes.

I don't know when exactly I fell asleep but the sound of three consecutive knocks on my car window pulls me out of my slumber. It's Nick, signalling for me to open the hood. I do exactly that and watch as he examines it. With a slam, he closes it and make his way to the passenger side of my car. I unlock the door and a soaked Nick takes a seat next to me.

"I can't fix it," he says, using his hand to push back his wet hair from his face.

"Really? Something Nick van Hale cannot do?" I reply, sarcastically. "Now how am I going to get home?"

"Are you crazy?" Nick asks suddenly. "You can't drive in this rain. Look, you can stay at my place for the night and-"

"Ha! Now who's crazy? There's no way I am spending the night with Granville's most eligible bachelor."

"Fine. Do you want me to drive you to your parents?"

And at that I agree to spend the night at his house and leave first thing in the morning.

Why does it feel like I'm spending too much time with this guy? Like everything in the universe is leading me to him? If I thought I was confused before, I definitely am now.

💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

Love

TT