Chapter 13 - Girl's Night Out

Evelyn

"That's it," I whisper to no one in particular. "He's gone?"

I know we were going through a rough patch but it's nothing we couldn't work on. What am I saying? We were working on it. I pushed him away. I did this. I pushed until he had enough.

And now here I am sitting in my best friend's living room crying my eyes out. I almost forgot she and Lee are still here. I've been successfully blocking them out since I came off that devastating phone call with Marcel.

"Lyn. Lyn, look at me," Nessa demands. But I can't look at her. The tears are streaming down my cheeks uncontrollably and I can't bear to see the pity and sympathy in my best friend's eyes.

Lee left the room to give us some privacy. It's a little too late for that. I might have already lost all my pride when I started hollering over the phone for his best friend. The truth is I don't care. I don't care that my eyes are all red and puffy and there's mascara running down my face. I don't care that my heart feels like it's in a million pieces on the floor before me.

I just want him back.

"He knew I wanted to get back with him. He knew. He thinks I'd be stupid to want to forgive him, Nessa. Am I? Am I stupid for being so madly in love with him that I'm willing to forgive him for one mistake?" She's quiet for a while and I figure she can't make out a word I just coughed up.

But then she speaks. "No. No you're not." She throws her arms around me and lets me cry my eyes out until I have no tears left. Eventually I fall asleep.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

"Evelyn?" Jenny, my co-worker calls, snapping me out of my thoughts. We're in the lunchroom having lunch before we get back to work. I've known Jenny since college and we were thrilled when we found out we both got the job at Hartford Bank. We're friends but not as close as Nessa and I are. Jenny is a tall, beautiful red head with the body of a model but sometimes I think she has no clue.

"I'm sorry, what?" I ask, reverting my attention back to her.

"You're tuning out a lot these days. Are you okay?" I know she's​ genuinely concerned. She's not the type for office gossip. But I can't tell her no. I can't tell her that I'm​ losing my mind because I'm going through what some would call a 'bad breakup'. So I do what I always do when people ask me that question.

Play it cool.

"Jennifer, are you reading those therapist magazines again?" I force a laugh.

She laughs and just like that I manage to convince her that I don't feel like dying.

It's been three weeks since I've been back to work and I don't feel like the same person. I tried to bury myself in some paperwork and that's all I seem to be doing. I've been practically living at Nessa's since I can't bear to be back at the house that used to belong to me and him.

Him.

It's​ hard to even think his name.

After work I get in and plan to go straight to the shower then to bed. Nessa apparently has other plans.

She almost gives me a heart attack the way she appears in my room after I get out of the shower.

"We're having a girl's night!" She exclaims.

I sigh. "What are you talking about?" She knows I haven't been up for anything lately.

"You've been moping around here for three weeks now and it's pretty depressing to watch. Honestly."