48

Chapter Forty Eight:
____________________________________________

"Come on, skinny love, just last the year
Pour a little salt, we were never here
My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my, my, my, my
Staring at the sink of blood and crushed veneer
Tell my love to wreck it all
Cut out all the ropes and let me fall
My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my, my, my, my
Right at the moment, this order's tall."

"Your number was in his emergency contacts, miss

"Your number was in his emergency contacts, miss. I regret to inform you this but your brother was in a terrible accident."

I froze.

A surge of fear coursed through my veins and I felt moisture beginning to gather at the back of my eyes.

No.

This was not happening.

My body was shutting down, a natural mechanism it had resorted to years ago whenever it experienced trauma, and I gripped the railing tightly in my hands.

Blood pumped in my ears loudly, drowning out the sound of my wild heartbeat and I sat down on the steps to avoid taking a fall.

"Hello? Miss? Are you still there?" The man spoke up once again.

I was snapped back to reality and my throat suddenly became dry as I opened my mouth to answer him. I ended up choking on air but quickly put a hand on my mouth, not wanting to disturb Darius.

"Miss, are you alright?" His worried voice questioned from the other end.

After a few seconds, I recovered from the coughing fit and nodded my head as if the man could see me.

"Y-Yes. Who am I speaking with? Where is my brother?" I managed to finally ask.

"My name's Terrence, miss. I was passing from the highway today when I saw your brother's car crashed on the side of the road. I brought him to a nearby clinic first but they said he needed immediate surgery because of some lethal blow to his head so I drove him to the hospital. I tried calling you once before but you didn't pick up."

My heart fell to my stomach and I bit my lip to prevent myself from sobbing in front of a stranger.

"Can you please send me the location?" I asked in a quiet voice.

"Yes, miss. I will do it, right away."

I cut the call and waited for his message. Meanwhile, my heart thumped against my ribcage. I placed a hand above it and started rubbing it to lessen the pain.

I hiccupped, suddenly, and started patting my heart lightly.

It's going to be fine. I kept chanting in my head.

When that did not calm my nerves, the light pats turned into loud claps as my hand struck against my chest in a not so gentle manner.

All kinds of what-ifs were swarming my thoughts and I hated the feeling of helplessness and hopelessness that made its way inside my heart.

Sinbound ✔️On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara