Dating Destiny

<Kimberly>

"He is going on a date."

Those words hit Kimberly and Lance like a pile of bricks, but for different reasons for each.  For Kimberly, she was worried about losing her best online friend.  She was worried that one day he would simply not come on to talk to her.  Billy was her knight in shining armor, saving her from the scummy men of the internet.

For Lance, it hit him not because of what was said, but how the words came out.  He had heard that tone before.  He had heard that tone quite a few times in the 18 years that they had known each other.  Even more in the last 3 when her and him were together.  He always heard it when another girl would come over and be too close to him.  She was jealous.  Why would she be jealous of a girl going out with this guy?  She didn't know anything about him.  He could be some 34 year old guy who just couldn't get a friend or anything like that on his own.  He needed to stay away from HIS girl.  Or maybe, she wasn't happy with him.  They had grown apart recently, all because of "Billy."  

"Well, that's good for him to find someone.  We all need someone to love.  I hope it all works out for him."

<William>

"Well, today is the day."

He stepped up on the scale as normal to see his weight.  He had been losing weight recently, so his hopes were that he would hit 200 today.  As much as he knew this was only a set up date, he was hoping things would work out.  He was tired of being alone.  He was tired of feeling inadequate in his eyes, let alone what he thought that his friends and family saw of him.  Those perceptions were all going to change and he knew it.  As he looked down, you could almost feel the air escaping the room as if the world was in hushed anticipation of the number on the scale.

"199.8 pounds!  Finally!  Maybe this girl is the one I have been wanting, the girl I have been waiting for."

William then proceeded to get ready, putting on a pair of khaki pants and a blue polo shirt.  Looking in the mirror, he thought about upgrading his style.  Probably looked like someone's dad on this date but if she liked him, it would be based on his personality and not on what he was wearing.

William made his way to the mall and hung around at the food court like he always did when waiting for Colby and Janet.  His phone vibrated and it was a text from Colby apologizing and saying how they were not going to be coming after all.

"I am going to kill him.  He set me up."  He slammed his fist on the table in frustration.  Many of the passersby looked at William as though he were a crazy person.  

"William?  Is that you?"

William turned around in his chair in disbelief to see Melissa standing there in front of him.  SHE couldn't be the one who Colby and Janet were trying to set him up with?  Was she?  She definitely looked beautiful outside of work wearing a light blue sundress and her hair looked like she was there for a date.  Yeah, she couldn't be there for him.

"Hey Missy.  How's it going?  I was supposed to hang out with Colby and Janet and someone they were wanting to set me up with.  You look amazing.  Are you here meeting someone?"

"Yeah, I was.  He did kind of stand me up though."

"A guy standing you up?  That guy is definitely an absolute moron."

With a little giggle, Melissa sat in the seat in front of William.  They sat and talked about work and a whole lot of small talk.  After about an hour or so William looked around the food court.

"Well, looks like I have been stood up as well.  In that case, do you wanna grab a movie?  It is right here and I don't think our dates will mind if we do."