The Things We Crave

"Billy, I love you."

<Billy POV>

Was he hearing things?  Did Kim actually tell him that she loved him?  How did this happen in such a few short months?  He lay there waiting for sleep to take him once more so he can get more sleep to be ready about his day.  When he woke up the call was still going on.  Did Kim fall asleep while on call as well?  He got up to use the bathroom and grab a drink before returning to bed.  What he saw on the phone was a sight he wished to see everyday for eternity.  Looking down at the phone, he saw Kim curled up against her phone as if she was actually laying next to him.  

Tears started to pour down Billy's face.  She did love him.  This was the cruelest of jokes that God, the Devil, or whoever was watching his life could play on him.  For 34 years, no one had said they loved him.  Sure, he had been with people romantically, but those were always people who didn't last.  They usually were there a week or would just try to use him for various things that Billy could provide at the time.  She loved him and it showed.  But the girl is only 18.  Yeah, she was someone legal but she was definitely not old enough for Billy to have even considered until that night happened.  I guess they are right after all when they say love comes when you least expect it.  He closed the call and went back to bed.  

[The Next Day]

<Kimberly POV>

Today felt different for Kim.  She got up and messaged Billy like she did every morning before school.  She knew he would love the picture of her dog, Wendy, this morning.  She had gotten herself all tucked under the blanket and looked absolutely adorable.  She got to school and first period was boring as usual.  Whenever school got boring, she would go to the chatroom and see what was going on.  To her surprise this morning, she saw that Billy was online.  

K:  Hola.

B:  Good morning beautiful.  How is your day so far?

K:  Better now.  What are you doing awake?

B:  I couldn't sleep.  Had my mind on something important.

K:  Oh yeah?

B:  You.

"Ow!"

The entire class turned and looked at her reaction to her biting her lip hard enough to make it bleed.  She couldn't help being turned on whenever she talked to Billy.  She wanted him all the time and wanted to make him hers every night and day.  Every time he touched her online, she felt every bit of it.  She craved his touch daily.  Why did he have to be so far away?  

Recently, she had dreaded lunchtime.  Having a boyfriend in a different place didn't protect you from the hungry eyes of teenage boys and faculty members.  It also didn't help that Lance had been trying to fix things with her, too little too late.  The way she and Billy were has shown her just how bad her last year and a half were with Lance.  She saw him as toxic and controlling, not even willing to give her a moment of peace to herself.  With Billy, she knew that if she said she wanted him to stop what he was doing right then and there,  that he would stop and make sure that she was alright.  She wanted Billy to be the one more than anything.

After school, she headed over to Jackson's house.  Jackson was her best male friend.  They dated briefly during her sophomore year but stayed really close.  He was the perfect guy, always sweet and funny and always had something cool to talk about.  The only problem was that he was confined to a wheelchair.  

She sat down and started talking about Billy, just like she had everyday since they became an item.  She talked about how he was 20 and an assistant manager at his job already and how he had plans to go back to college someday but for now he wanted to just make money to get in a new place..  Normally, Jackson would sit and listen with a polite smile on his face but today he wanted to talk to this new guy who had swooped in and stolen Kim's heart.